🔕 🔔

I just roasted some beef marrow bones for bone broth. There was so much clear

liquid fat...which I froze. I'm assuming this is better than commercial lard (I know disgusting---but I keep in my freezer--for seasoning my cast iron). What else can I use this for? I froze it and broke into tiny pieces. Thank you!!!

asked by bamcnamara almost 2 years ago

Commercial lard is made from pork fat not beef. The flavor is much different. The best is leaf lard taken from around the kidneys of the pig. Probably you are better off using it to season your pans but I've never tried beef fat as a flavoring agent. Veal marrow bones are delicious by themselves. Have them split and roast and scoop out the delicious marrow on it's own. You can still use the bones for stock.