🔕 🔔

A friend asked for two easy hot hors d'ouevres and one cold one, easy and tasty!

Friend is in a vacation house and isn't really a seasoned cook, all suggested appreciated!

asked by Sadassa_Ulna almost 2 years ago

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

For the cold one: an absolute staple at my every gathering is a tray of assorted raw veggies. It's fresh, light, and easy to eat...they disappear like chips! Make it colorful and bite-sized. Dip--like hummus--is optional, but often appreciated. Another quick one is a package of low fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel) placed in the center of a dinner plate and topped with a high-quality jarred salsa (it's cooked so it's runnier, which is what you want) OR cocktail sauce OR a runny cranberry sauce. Use wheat crackers to dip into the sauce-cheese mixture. Hot ideas: place a sheet of puff pastry on a cookie sheet and score a 1/2 inch rim. Top with shredded Gruyere then asparagus spears, black pepper and any dry herb. Bake this till brown.

Another easy hot appetizer is a quiche: use a premade pie crust (I'm not a fan but if you are on vacation and want to simplify things). Whisk together 2 c any liquid dairy (cream, milk, yogurt) and 3 eggs, salt, pepper, herbs. Place 1 c cooked veggie, ham, shrimp, etc. in bite size pieces into the crust. Pour the egg mixture over. Top with 1/2 c shredded cheese. Bake 350 for about 30 min.

Da99f4cd 8368 4906 81f0 2d566f46a46d  image

I love assorted veggies as an app as well - to turn veggies into a hot app I have used this recipe for years and it is delicious http://www.bonappetit.com.... And I also do a puff pastry quick appetizer, I roll out a puff pastry square and dock it with a fork with the exception of a 1/2 inch rim, and blind bake it in the oven about 18 minutes (depending on the brand). While it bakes, I sautee thinly sliced leeks in butter with salt and pepper, and these top the puff pastry as it comes out of the oven.

18b4c5ea 4fcd 4b40 ae35 f46aa73b4abf  img 0848

For a hot one, how about mushrooms stuffed with cheese and pesto or sausage?

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

This stuffed mushroom from Ina Garten is exceptional:
http://www.foodnetwork...

This combines hot and cold, bagna cauda https://food52.com/recipes...

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Thank you, everyone!

For hot:
sauteed chicken livers on toast (all you need is frypan and toaster or grill)
artichoke crostini (see Mario Batali easy recipe at smittenkitchen.com)
For cold, an old James Beard classic:
Sweet onion (Vidalia or whatever varietal you can find) sliced thin, on mini brioche with mayonnaise. (simple but good)

Fe388697 9a25 43bd 8be3 1d54b097849d  12122693 892669724151368 7180959896387914038 n
Em

I agree with Windischgirl, raw veggies are a great idea, even as simple as just carrot sticks and hummus. Another good idea are slices of cheese. You can either go for the pre-sliced selection, or buy a block and cut into small wedges. Serve with either nuts, cornichons, crackers, or all of the above.
An easy hot option is pizza bagel bites. Slice mini bagels in half, spoon on tomato sauce, and top with shredded mozzarella. Broil in oven for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
For a bit of a fancier bite: clean and remove tails of jumbo shrimp, slice in half, marinade (or just toss) in pesto, then pan-sear. Skewer with a toothpick and serve.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

gosh, given all the possibilities, it would be helpful to know the country! my advice for someone in coastal CA would be very different from my advice for England. and when is this for?

For cold - I love ham and pickle wraps. Take room temp cream cheese, spread on a slice of deli ham, place whole pickle (not spear) on one side, roll up around the pickle. I prefer to refrigerate for a few hours at this point, it's easier to cut and stays together better. Stick toothpicks in every inch or so and cut between them to make bite-sized pieces.

183419d6 51a1 4952 966c 797e2ec36c27  75660843 541761783 rotate

Cheese platters all the way with some dried fruits and nuts and a veggie platter with hummus. Bruschettas are also great. And I should suggest these interesting dates https://food52.com/recipes...