Quick and easy desserts

Hi everyone - There are beautiful recipes here. But sometimes, one has two hours to prepare a meal and needs something quick and easy. I have a dinner this Friday and would love and appreciate some suggestions for a dessert - I get home from work and have two hours to prepare the meal :) Thank you, Shayma (aka Spice Spoon)

• Posted by: shayma
  • November 18, 2013

ChefJune November 18, 2013

A lot of what is considered "quick and easy" depends upon your comfort level. My two go-to quickie desserts are chocolate mousse and jam crostata. If you make the mousse as soon as you get home, it will have set by the time you want to serve it. Brownies are also a dessert I prepare quickly. The jam crostata is quick if either (1) you have already make pie crusts on hand; (2) you buy a premade pie crust (Not crumbs). Teh filling consists of a jar of preserves (fig is great, so is apricot, but you choose what you like) blended with a smidge of lemon juice and piled into the center of the rolled out crust (1/4-inch thick). then you pull the crust up aroung the jam, leaving an opening about the size of a silver dollar. Brush with an egg wash and bake.

shayma
shayma November 18, 2013

This sounds wonderful - thank you!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

How about really great ice cream, and sundae fixings? Everyone can make their own variation with a couple different kinds of nuts, whipped cream, mascarpone, a store bought fudge sauce and/or butterscotch sauce you can heat up, and some Tillen Farms Bada Bing cherries.

Or make a fruit compote in a simple sugar syrup with a touch of lime or lemon juice and zest the night before, refrigerate overnight, and serve with whipped cream and maybe some really delicious bakery or premium cookies.

shayma
shayma November 18, 2013

That sounds amazing, I live in Toronto, but my family lives in DC, next time I am there I have to buy these cherries. Can one buy them online?

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake November 18, 2013

Can always make a fool or parfait easy to make and still an impressive presentation. http://food52.com/recipes... or http://pinchofyum.com/pumpkin-pecan-cheesecake-parfaits

shayma
shayma November 18, 2013

I may just go with these :) Thank you.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Ina Garten's Apple tart is a quick dessert you can make the night before. I use any marmalade or light colored jam I have on hand to glaze the tart. You can use rum, Poire William, or cognac to thin out the jam for the glaze.

shayma
shayma November 18, 2013

Poire William to thin it out? Fabulous, thank you.

sdebrango November 18, 2013

I don't know if you are coffee drinkers but this recipe by MrsLarkin for affogato with zabaglione is amazing http://food52.com/recipes...

shayma
shayma November 18, 2013

Yes, huge. Shall try this out. Thank you.

creamtea November 18, 2013

Baked apples esp. with fresh apples from a Greenmarket. Slice off the tops and brush with honey & a little butter if you like, bake in a buttered dish at 350º, serve with heavy cream. Heavenly, and your kitchen will smell so good.

shayma
shayma November 18, 2013

Or ricotta/mascarpone - thank you!

Diana B
Diana B November 18, 2013

Personally, I vote for this: http://food52.com/recipes...

Regine
Regine November 18, 2013

U can buy some already made meringues, cool whip
( the one in the spray), fresh strawberries or raspberries and maybe some jam. You can either use a big triffle bowl or individual mini glasses. I would start with crushed meringue, followed by cream, a bit of jam, fruit and repeat.

Regine
Regine November 18, 2013

Soozll
Soozll November 18, 2013

An apple dutch baby can be cooking while you eat and served while still hot. Bananas Foster is quick to make as well and can be served with a good ice cream over a slice of premade pound cake if you like.

calendargirl
calendargirl November 18, 2013

Another recipe of Mrslarkin's is Lemon Posset, a cinch with only three ingredients and a mere five minutes of cooking time, then chilling. It is a favorite in our house now and I have used it as a dinner party dessert to unanimous raves. http://food52.com/recipes...

kayla
kayla November 18, 2013

baked apples! bake them with some ground nuts and brown sugar stuffed into the hole that you get when you core them. bake for approx. 45 mins

amysarah November 18, 2013

I try to keep a disk of galette pastry (Julia Childs' recipe w/cornmeal) in the freezer. Slicing some apples and/or pears and assembling is all that's left - since it's supposed to look freeform (even messy,) no fussing involved. Also, money in the freezer/bank: double a batch of biscotti and freeze some; or, a roll of frozen lemon/cornmeal cookie dough to slice and bake off as needed. Just pick up some ice cream and you're done. (Bonus points if it's really good pistachio.)

But probably my favorite quick winter dessert (if your guests aren't too sweet tooth driven) involves only assembly - a big wedge of good Stilton (or Gorgonzola Dolce, etc.) whatever assortment of apples, pears, grapes, dried fruit and walnuts you fancy, some purchased wheatmeal biscuits, a bottle of Port (or just finish the red wine.) Spread it out like a still life - no work, besides shopping, and great for lingering around the table.

ATG117
ATG117 November 18, 2013

WhAt about something like this as a jumping off point?
http://www.marthastewart...

For a more seasonal twist, you can sub the fruit recommended with apples that you'd Sautée in some butter and brown sugar until tender.

Another idea using puff pastry (which is always great for last minute entertaining) is to bake it as above, spread with nutella, and then top with fresh whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.

As others have mentioned, a fool or trifle (using good cake from a bakery you trust and fresh whipped cream) will also be great.

ATG117
ATG117 November 18, 2013

And finally, this came to mind:
http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=668&S=0

Bevi
Bevi November 18, 2013

The Bada Bing Cherries and other Tillen Farms products can be found in lots of specialty stores. You can contact the owner on the Tillen Farms website and ask him the closest location to you.