Escarole- Just Saute or Blanch and Saute?

Batali does the latter but I really don't like blanching- waste of energy, water, nutrients imo. One other recipe just sautes it, ~ 10 minutes . I'm working on an Italian escarole pie w/ garlic, anchovy, capers, currants, pine nuts, in case anyone has a great recipe. I'm a little stumped because the 2 recipes i like- have no eggs or binder! ricotta in batali, no cheese in the other, which is 2-crusted. ( I had conceived of this filling with some parm and a little egg. I def don't want ricotta; it wasn't in the long- ago dish I'm trying to replicate.) Thx for your thoughts on this!

asked by LE BEC FIN over 2 years ago

scruz

years ago i had an italian neighbor. her cooking was fabulous. she would hand cut tiny diamond pastas, make her own salami, breaded sweet breads, rabbit, etc. anyway, we used to go out to the field to pick a member of the wild mustard family, similar to rapini. with any bitter green she would blanche first to take out the bitterness. it seemed to work really well. i think i would follow the recipe. i know what you mean about the extra step. save the water and throw on your herb garden!

I love escarole - actually more than most trendier greens. I never blanch first, just directly into the saute pan (or soup pot, if that's what's happening.)