Ricotta & garlic scapes on pizza?

I'm going to make a ricotta & garlic scape pizza, but trying to decide between putting whole scapes on or making a pesto and drizzling it over the ricotta.. What would you do?

asked by lizzyinthekitchen about 5 years ago

cookbookchick

I would make garlic scape pesto and use that on the pizza. With ricotta - sounds delicious!

I'll politely disagree on the ricotta, altough the garlic scape pesto sounds like a fine idea. But ricotta is just not a great pizza cheese because you should be firing the pizza in a super hot oven and ricotta can be returning into liquid before you know it. Fresh mozzarella works as does a low moisture mozza. I prefer the former. You could of course top with ricotta when it comes out of the oven.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I make pizza all the time. I think your ingredients sounds delicious! I'd go with the garlic scape pesto instead of whole scapes. Crumble the ricotta cheese on the pizza after it comes out of the oven. Enjoy!

I agree that the pesto is a great idea and use ricotta all the time to make a white pizza and with the pesto it will be wonderful.

Bevi

I have been using ricotta directly on grilled pizzas and it's great.