Vegetarian ideas for the Super Bowl?

I'm making the game day food this year and most Super Bowl suggestions are heavy on the meat. Any vegetarian ideas that go well with football would be appreciated. Thank you.

asked by creaturecuisine almost 3 years ago

Caroline Lange

this muffuletta is amazing: https://food52.com/recipes...

creaturecuisine

That does look great. It's definitely on my to do list :)

Tacos.

Yes, the filling is usually meat, but you are free to offer fish or a vegetarian option. I occasionally grill portobello mushrooms as a vegetarian taco filling at my usual football tailgate.

This also kills the vegan and gluten-free birds with one stone.

creaturecuisine

It would be easy to prep and travel with!

ktr
ktr

As CV said, tacos can easily be made vegetarian. Also:
veggie chili
sweet potato fries topped with black beans and cheese
corn chowder
vegetarian lasagna
pizza

creaturecuisine

Oh my goodness, the sweet potato fries sounds amazing! I also like that I could crockpot the chili :)

-caprese skewers with grape tomato and fresh mozzarella
-cream cheese or vegetable wontons, baked.
-vegetable tempura

creaturecuisine

Oooh! I've never baked wontons. I bet they'd be better for longer than if fried.

MargaretB

Great question! Here are some of my favorites:
- My favorite vegetarian chili recipe: http://www.slate.com/blogs... (it's even billed for the Super Bowl!)
- Cauliflower "wings" http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/sesame-glazed-cauliflower-wings-sundaysupper-tailgate-glutenfree-vegan/ (have also seen this done in restaurants with Buffalo sauce)
- This one's a bit abstract, but we made this stuffing - http://www.sporkful.com/veggieducken-recipe-photos-slide-show/ - wrapped balls of it in Morningstar Farms bacon, and skewered them with toothpicks before baking in the oven. Big hit among vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike.
- The ever-popular deviled egg https://food52.com/blog...
Bonus: most of these are fairly protein-heavy, which is something I always appreciate as a vegetarian, vs. having to fill up on crudites and desserts.

creaturecuisine

So many great ideas! I will make the cauliflower wings for sure. Yum.

Tyler

I read an article recently (I believe in Bon Appétit) about creating a build-your-own-Italian-hero bar, and I thought how much fun it would be to do a vegetarian version. Some different veggies, sliced thinly and roasted; few different sauces and spreads (homemade or otherwise; pimento cheese? a variety of hummus flavors? some pesto?); and even an assortment of delicious breads.

creaturecuisine

I love it!

Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus

Make an easy black bean dip - drain and rinse a can of black beans, add salt, pepper, a bit of chili powder or smoked paprika, cumin, some cilantro and a clove of garlic (+ hot sauce, if you like), a splash of white vinegar or lime juice and blitz with olive oil in the food processor. Good with tortilla or pita chips or veggies. Artichoke dip is one of our family favorites (even for the meat-eaters) but with mayonnaise is not vegan, though stays vegetarian.

creaturecuisine

I have all the stuff on hand to make this tonight and see how it turns out. Thanks for the reply :)

Yes to artichoke dip, in many flavor variations. If you want to use a mayo-like spread for vegans, consider Vegenaise salad dressing (a mayo almost-clone, available in health food and many regular grocery stores). Or make mayonnaise using soft tofu instead of raw egg as the emulsifying agent.

scruz

there is a really obscenely unhealthy but delicious hot dip one of my coworkers won our dip contest with...i'm sure the recipe is easy to find. it involves velvetta cheese, cream cheese, green onions sliced and a can of chili (his was chili con carne but i'm sure without carne would be delish too). depends on how healthy you want your Bowlers to be!

Garlic Fiend

Since it is also Chinese new year's eve, I would also recommend vegetarian pot stickers (gyoza), egg rolls

look for regional foods from the two teams. People from Colorado can help with Denver.
For Carolina -
palmetto cheese (a version of pimento cheese),
hot pepper jelly with cream cheese on crackers,
cornbread, biscuits, hush puppies
pecan, chess or key lime pies
red rice
red velvet cake or pound cake

Stephanie

This is my kind of party!

My Denver inspired suggestions would be -
1) Cook with craft beer! Beer cheese dip (thebeeroness.com has lots of ideas)
2) Green chile (usually with pork but you could easily do a veg. friendly version)
3) Breakfast burritos (great for the pre-gaming, or a good Monday morning hang over remedy!)
4) Burritos in general
5) Grilled ______ (fill in the blank). Despite the snow, we like to grill year-round.
6) Burgers/sliders (you could do black bean or quinoa burgers as a veg. option)

Stephanie, great for taking up the Colorado/Denver challenge.
Dare we suggest mash-ups...:)
craft beer to drink with the appetizers;
one of the breads or biscuits under your green chile, burriots or sliders.
Etc etc.

Exbruxelles

Almost everyone likes guacamole.

Lesley Simpson

Try Deborah Madison's bean chili in VCFE. Fabulous flavour. Make with her buttermilk corn bread and you're set!

GsR
GsR

Beer!