beans with ham hock: forgot to refrigerate

I started cooking a pot of pintos with a ham hock this morning, for about an hour. I was going to keep cooking them after work. When I got home, I saw that I had forgotten to refrigerate them. Is it going to kill us if I just keep cooking them now?

asked by EmilyNunn almost 3 years ago

gt9
gt9

I am not a food scientist, but assuming you are using water as your stock, I don't think you should have any problem...if it were me I would proceed. I use David Tanis as my guide for cooking and making beans.

EmilyNunn

Thank you! Water is my stock. That is very reassuring. Also: I love David Tanis.

gt9
gt9

Also, there is a good bit of salt in the ham hock which is a preservative.

Voted the Best Answer!

LE BEC FIN

yes, ham hocks have enough salt for 2 lifetimes.
no worries; you are fine!

arcane54

Don't. Unless you are willing to risk your health and that of your family. Chalk it up to a hard-earned lesson. The fda.gov site will help you understand why.