my son left out my meat sauce (made with ground beef) all night (7-8 hours!) Can we still eat this tonight??

meat sauce unrefrigerated

asked by Mommaj's over 2 years ago

Unless "out" means out of doors where temperature was maximum 4C or 40F, sorry not unless you wish it to be your last, or your last for a long time.
see this link (and others you may find) for help on two hour safety guideline.
http://www.fda.gov/Food...

Mommaj's

I want to thank everyone for their comments about this! I appreciate it. We tossed it.
Thank you

gt9
gt9

I am not the FDA, but my feeling is that if it was fully cooked, and there is some salt in the sauce, I would eat it...

CanadaDan

8 hours at room temp for ground meat? that's a serious risk. i wouldn't eat anything that was at room temp for longer than 2 hours and i'm pretty easy going as far as food safety goes. i'd toss it unless you want to feel the effects later that night...

I surely hope you won't put yourself or your family at risk.

Zane

It's way more cost effective to throw it out instead of spending it at the emergency room with food poisoning.

If you haven't read this article by Harold McGee, it's pretty interesting. For stock, a 10-minute boil will kill bacteria and denature toxins. But in the end, what's important to remember is that while risks of being affected at all may be small (lots of people routinely leave spaghetti at room temperature and are fine), the possible rare outcome can be really serious. http://www.nytimes.com...

My mom use do this. She grew up in a humid tropical climate with little refrigeration and she would boil soups and sauces for a good 10 minutes. She said this kept the food from going bad, but warned that it was only good a couple of times.

Zelda

the meat's cooked, so should be fine if you reheat it properly by bringing back up to the boil, and simmering for long enough to heat through. I do this all the time with sauce that's left out up to 24 hours.

Zelda

Also, the fact you used ground beef would only be risky if it was not thoroughly cooked, eg burgers that are still pink in the middle. Not an issue with meat sauce.