Salad(lunch) to go with crayfish or shrimp etouffe.

I was thinking of some type of non-mayo slaw. Suggestions? Alternatives? I am not providing the main dish so can not provide details or even be sure what exactly it will be but the other cook in on a New Orleans kick.

asked by caninechef over 2 years ago

Definitely some French bread and served with some rice or potato salad.

For a salad green with a vinegarette - simple.

Exbruxelles

I think a non-mayo slaw would be great: Simple, sharp and refreshing, a nice counter-point to the richness of whatever your New Orleans-crazed cohort comes up with. I like shredded napa cabbage, chopped cilantro, red onions, sliced kumquats and slivered almonds in a sweet-ish lemon/orange vinaigrette. Alternatively, my favorite salad for this time of year: Arugula, supremed orange segments (Cara cara!) avocado, red onion, and green olives tossed in the same sort of sweet-ish citrus vinaigrette. Sprinkle with feta.

Poke Salat?

If the other cook is on a New Orleans "kick," I would probably make a Celery Remoulade. It's a great go-with for Crawfish (not crayfish in NOLA!) Etouffee.

Chef Lisa

I've never felt compelled to serve a salad with étouffée. But, I'd agree a light, mayo-less slaw like the one Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis have. The use of vinegar and cucumbers is refreshing. I'd be more inclined to bag the salad and make a bread pudding with whiskey sauce for after the meal. Now, that's Nawlins'!

caninechef

Thanks for all the suggestions and info on New Orleans style dishes. I like the idea of something with citrus, sharp and clean, to counterpoint what my friend comes up with.

caninechef

Just an update- The etouffe chef cancelled so I ended up chief cook. I made this chowder and it was a big hit. https://food52.com/recipes...