A question about a recipe: Almond Coffee Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Almond Coffee Cake" from Sarah Jampel. WW pastry flour??

• Posted by: VickyD
  • February 19, 2016
1df5f0ac 19c8 4cc8 ac3a 28e76e050fe1  2015 0331 skillet almond coffee cake mark weinberg 0595
Recipe question for: Almond Coffee Cake

ChefJune February 19, 2016

Are you asking whether you can sub whole wheat pastry flour for the ap flour in this recipe? I wouldn't. Almond is a fairly delicate flavor, and the flavor of the whole wheat flour is likely to upstage it. I'm making this cake this weekend -- thanks for calling it to my attention - and can let you know after I've tasted it if I think it could withstand the WW flour.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 19, 2016

vicky, yes, almond is delicate, but you certainly could use 50% whole wheat or white whole wheat. Pastry flour however is used for pastry dough, not cake, so I'd use the non-pastry flours.you could also put in some fine cornmeal if you like a little gritty texture. I'd be tempted to try 25%. I used 50% in these cookies, but that's grittier.
https://food52.com/recipes...