A question about a recipe: Braised Moroccan Chicken and Olives

I have a question about the recipe "Braised Moroccan Chicken and Olives " from Sonali aka the Foodie Physician. Re: Braised Moroccan Chicken and Olives: do you rinse the rind before adding it? What do you do with the pulp?

My Friend Maillard
My Friend Maillard February 21, 2016

Rinsing the preserved lemons will only remove some of the saltiness from the surface, since it has been preserved there's nothing you don't want left on the surface of the fruit. Personally, I love them so I would also add the pulp to the stew, or just put it back in the jar and use in another stew another day.

Susan W February 21, 2016

I sometimes rinse to rid the lemon of excessive salt, but you don't have too. The liquid you are rinsing off has a lot of flavor, so if you can balance the salt in the entire dish, I wouldn't rinse them, but that's up to you.

I use the pulp as often as I can, but she does direct you to only use the peel, so I would do that at least the first time I made the dish. Save the pulp by plopping it back in the jar. It makes a delicious lemony salad dressing.

Sonali aka the Foodie Physician

I usually don't rinse the rind but you can if you want to remove some of the excess salt. In terms of whether or not to use the pulp, I would start by using just the rind first and then tasting the dish. If you want more preserved lemon flavor, go ahead and add the pulp too. Otherwise, save it for another use. I likeSusan W's idea of using it to make a salad dressing!

The Principal Cook
The Principal Cook February 22, 2016

Thank you! I made my first batch of preserved lemons last month, so your recipe was my first use of them. I just used the rind and returned the pulp to the jar, but now that I know what it tastes like (waiting a month is hard...), I've got lots of ideas how to use both the rind and the pulp.

Your recipe is fantastic, by the way, a wonderful blend of flavors!

Sonali aka the Foodie Physician

That's great that you made your own preserved lemons. So glad you liked the dish!