Corn bread batter: Can I mix all the ingredients together and keep it in the fridge for 8 hours, then bake it?

Or will it get weird ?

asked by roryrabbitfield over 2 years ago

Sarah E Daniels
Sarah E Daniels

Editorial Intern

do it! I'm pretty sure it will get even better in that eight hours

Sorry Sarah, it won't. The baking powder will continue to bubble and brew and the end result is very likely to be tragic, if not inedible.

jilhil

I wouldn't do it. There's a very good chance that you'll lose all the leavening while it is waiting and will end up with an unappetizing mess. Unlike yeast breads, quick bread batters don't improve with a rest.

What you can safely do is premix all of the dry ingredients then add the moist ones right before you bake it.

arcane54

I did that once... Grey and bitter. Not worth the perceived convenience. cv has a better way.

roryrabbitfield

Ok I'm back. Here's what I did. Combined dry ingredients in a bowl. Added wet stuff in the evening. It was very fast. I decided the biggest problem with getting the cornbread on the table quickly was the need to preheat the oven! That slows things down a lot.

roryrabbitfield

I mean, I combined dry ingredients in the morning. Left it there and added wet stuff at dinner time.

Yes, waiting for the oven/stove,/pan to warm up or water to boil is often the bottleneck. I have a conventional electric range with electric oven, so things heat up/cool down slowly. If I arrive home hoping to bake/roast something quickly, the first thing to do is to preheat the oven. While I've never carefully timed it, my oven probably takes 10 minutes to reach each 100 degree mark (e.g., 30 minutes to reach 300 degrees).

Also, if I need to boil something, I start boiling water when I walk into the kitchen. You can cut a few minutes simply by drawing water into a stock pot ahead of time, leaving it on the stove, then turning it on when you need it.

Anyhow, hope the cornbread was tasty.