Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

crock pot baby back ribs technique

I am making a rack of St Louis Style spare ribs in the crock pot. I saw a video where they removed the membrane of the ribs before slow cooking. I have not done this in the past. Is this something I should do?

asked by Lucia from Madison 9 months ago

I never do, but I like the chewiness that the membrane adds. It's a personal choice, so you can do it either way.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

If you've done in the past and you liked it, that's really what counts the most, not what some celebrity chef or TV personality says.

Some people prefer to remove the membrane A.) to help the meat absorb the rub/sauce more, and B.) to remove that texture.

My suggestion is that you do one batch and see if you like it. If you don't, you can always revert back to your original and time-testing technique. Heck, you could even remove the membrane from half of the rack and see if you can spot a difference.

Entirely your call.

Good luck.

27deb974 3b33 4f19 b966 dc79321a31b1  photo for web

I had to cut the slab in half so I removed the membrane from one half and not from the other. And it was not a celebrity chef it was fellow food blogger, who may one day be a TV personality. Dream big!