🔕 🔔

Using a Slow Cooker to Make Venison Steak

I chopped and browned 2 round sirloins of venison meat (about 20 small cubes of meat, just enough to cover the bottom of the slow cooker). How long should I leave them in the slow cooker? One recipe said 2 hours and another one said 8....

asked by amanda almost 2 years ago

I did a neck roast for 12 hours on low. It was buttery tender. Since yours is chopped up, I would think 6-8 would be plenty.

If you throw a diced apple in, it helps take away the game-y taste.

Since it's already browned 2 to 3 hours, with sufficient liquid, should be enough. But taste to be sure.

I have learned that all slow cookers are different. I have 3. One is 185 on low. The other is 190 and the third is over 200. So..you'll just have to watch it. Venison is very lean, so it could go from tough to tender and back to tough again in a short period of time. Be sure to check it often after a couple of hours.

Yes. My thought exactly. I'm assuming a good quality slow cooker and not a crock pot.

Actually, my Crockpot brand SC is as good as my Cuisinart brand. However, I can brown and sear with my Cuisinart, so that's what makes it my favorite. The Hamilton Beach brand was by far the cheapest (under $20), but it does as good a job as the more expensive Cuisinart. The only difference are the bells and whistles they each have.