🔕 🔔

Flour in financiers

I am researching recipes for financiers, and noticed that New York Times recipe (http://www.nytimes.com...), which is adapted from Payard's, calls for 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup bleached all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons cake flour. What is the role of cake flour in the recipe?

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

http://www.thekitchn.com...
QS, this explains it far better than I! xo

p.s. qs, what I am guessing is, given that 1) the amount of cake flour is so teeny
and 2) the recipe is from Payard, is that this particular flour combination best replicates the flour that Payard uses in France (and brings to U.S. for its use here.) At any rate, the important thing is that there is no need to go out and find cake flour, just use cornstarch, per the recipe. I bet if you googled Financiers and Alice Medrich, or Nancy Silverton, they wouldn't mess you around like that!!

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

The funny thing with this recipe is that despite the fine precision to correct for the flour, the quantities are in cups and not ounces or grams. I find it very un-Payard like, ha ha ha. Re flour, I've been using a lot of King Arthur's Italian Style flour, because it kind of behaves more like the flour I grew up with. It has 8.5% protein. Although I noticed that they also have pastry flour (8%), but I have not tried it.

Additional helpful information on the differences between cake flour and all purpose flour can be found in this article: http://www.seriouseats... Scroll down to the third set of comparison cake photos for relevant text. ;o)