🔕 🔔

Here's one. Instead of picking up escarole I picked up green *#*** leaf lettuce. Any chance it can be substituted for escarole... if not salad is always good. Why do they put the 2 next to one another... Was planning on panncott...

asked by Lucia from Madison over 7 years ago

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Doncha hate when that happens?

There are recipes in which lettuce is cooked, but I don't like any I've tried even though I love other cooked greens.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

As I can't translate your expletive I'll just say that escarole really does cook well in broth if that's your aim. You can substitute other lettuce except that they'll give up a lot of water and potentially turn into mushy goo. Try adding those at the very end, like the very, very end. End of story.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I've dealt with too much lettuce or not a salad favorite lettuce by treating it like other greens for soup. In deference to pierino's expertise, reduce the liquid so you can adjust when you see the results. Maybe it was just luck, but so far it's working.

You probably won't get the bitter edge with lettuce as with escarole, and I don"t cook really tender greens in soups - just put in soup bowl and pour the finished soup over. Wilts w/o turning into overdone 'goo' (perfect description).