🔕 🔔

Can potato flakes be used in place of mashed potatoes in bread dough?

I have a ton of potato flakes leftover from a bread machine recipe I tried ages ago when my bread machine worked. I have since converted to baking bread by hand. I didn't like the recipe from the bread machine cookbook I was using so I don't want to convert that recipe to be made by hand. I'm wondering if I can use the potato flakes to substitute for the mashed potatoes in a potato bread recipe?

asked by ktr over 1 year ago

4caa0af8 566e 43ab 992b 57e8725a8b1a  joey

short answer is yes. The instant potatoes are (at their heart) dehydrated potato flakes, and they can be used. I use instant potatoes in a roll recipe that I love from my mom. It is easier than having plain mashed potatoes on hand, spur of the moment, to bake with. Since I don't know your recipe exactly, I would think it'd be best to make the mashed potatoes first, but make them a little more stiff than the directions usually call for, then add to your recipe. Good luck!

ktr

Thanks! I will give it a try the next time I'm baking bread.

ktr, here is one my favorite recipes using potato flakes https://food52.com/recipes... I've made it hundreds of times over the years - it was my go-to sandwich bread when the boys were taking lunches to school, and have continued since then because it makes such good toast. The potatoes give it a nice moist, almost chewy crumb.

I can no longer get potato flakes in bulk, so I tend to use mashed potatoes more often, making extra when we have them for dinner to freeze in small portions for baking.

When I could easily get potato flakes, I routinely substituted them in recipes calling for mashed potatoes. The key is to hydrate them fully before adding. Do a search on Food52 for recipes with "antoniajames bread potato"; I've made all of those breads using instant mashed potatoes.

Have fun! ;o)

ktr

I will give that recipe a try because sandwich bread is definitely what I'm after (4 year olds eat lots of PB&J's)

I made hundreds of PB&J sandwiches with that bread, and then when they got to be old enough -- second or third grade -- my sons took over to make hundreds more. . . . and they still make them when they are here (they are both young adults). Nothing like homemade bread, homemade jam and natural peanut butter or almond butter. ;o)