🔕 🔔

I have some leftover almond and buckwheat flours in the pantry. I would like to use them to bake bread, but am unsure how to substitute them in the bread recipes I have that call for all-purpose or bread flour. Are there any easy ways to do this?

asked by Karin_D almost 7 years ago

I can't answer that off the bat, but almond flour isn't really the right thing for bread. I would use it for cookies. It is wonderful for biscotti and all kinds of other cookies.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Try subbing buckwheat flour for 1/4 of the white flour in your recipe and give it a try - you might need to add a touch more liquid to keep things hydrated properly. Note that the sub should be measured by weight, but fortunately, according to the handy dandy KA Flour weight chart, buckwheat and white flours have the same weight per cup. http://www.kingarthurflour...

Agree that almond flour, which is really just finely ground almonds, is best for cookies or tart crusts - again sub about 1/4 of the flour with the almond flour.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

With the buckwheat flour, try making a pancake call ploye. Every family in the New Brunswick area of Canada has their own recipe, but I am sure you can find one on the web. My mom use to make them when I was a kid, but I do not have her recipe. They are cooked only on one side very slowly. One of my favorite things is having it with maple syrup and butter. Also at dinner as a version of chicken and waffles.

D20ac87d a3f2 41c7 87f8 e62189c82843  2016 03 25 11 16 54

Thank you all! Happy Thanksgiving!