🔕 🔔

Halvah or halva pan

I'm hoping to purchase a mold/pan for a friend who likes to experiment with halvah. Does anyone know where one can purchase the molds that generate those large traditional wheels of halvah you see throughout the Middle East? I live in NYC so perhaps there is an antique cookware shop that might sell them?
Barring that, assuming a loaf pan would work fine, what material would you recommend? Metal? Silicone? Many thanks in advance!

asked by sjaneparker about 2 years ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

I'm sorry you haven't received any answers to this yet! I'm bumping it back up to the top of the list in hopes that will get more eyes on it and some ideas for you.

159fa81e df11 417f b133 59c3df6008c7  food53

New York Times food section just did an article on halvah this week. I'd go through it and pick out names and places and start my research there.
http://www.nytimes.com...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I just bought some fresh pistachio halvah in Brooklyn today. Their various selections were in loaves. Could you not use either a large loaf pan or a round cake pan, lined with parchment or plastic wrap?