🔕 🔔

Summer is coming! Need creative/tasty app ideas for a boat!

We entertain on our boat a lot, but repeatedly coming up with taste creative appetizers is getting trickier for me. Spiced peanuts, citrus marinated olives, creative dips, lovely crudites, dreamy cheese boards. We've done it all. I need fresh ideas for a new season. But w/ only a small fridge and microwave most of the work needs to be done at home, and brought onboard. I also have to keep in mind errant waves (so no beet-based ideas please). I figured boating and glamping (and even picnicking!) have a lot in common. Anyone have any fabulous ideas you're willing to share?

asked by Christina DeP over 1 year ago

Ed60b1ff 6dae 4ade a8bf 6989a223571b  fb avatar

I love serving pitted Medjool dates that have been stuffed with a tiny bit of feta cheese and a walnut half.

These sandwiches were almost invented with boats in mind. Imagine your resting aboard your boat in the Port Vieux of Marseilles. https://food52.com/recipes...

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

When we were sailing around Sicily we used to have our reserve of canned white beans, canned tuna, Tropea onions (the red ones), Sicilian lemons and a bottle of good virgin olive oil.
A salad was quickly made and eaten, even when sailing Close-hauled.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Gotta say, Your Guardian Chef, your life just sounds too damn good!

Thank you Kristen, I guess it is all relative. We were sailing in Sicily when I was a teenager, eating onions with canned beans and tuna ! Here is a photo from the harbor in Monaco. They are eating oysters and lobsters ;-)

Ea850cc2 54d2 4d4c aebb c7cf7799acac  img 20160410 125647 1 1

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I think it's the context of sailing around Sicily while eating canned tuna and onions that got me...that setting looks incredible - I hope I get to that part of the world someday!

I agree with you, I have very nice memories. I do prefer the adventure of a canned tuna over a served lobster. Fishing squids at night and picking capers from the supporting stone walls of the climbing alleys of the Eolie Islands. Very much Montalbano Style !
I hope you will, it is still achievable price wise, but who knows how long that natural beauty will last !

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Anything on a little skewer...cherry tomatoes, cheese, olives, artichoke hearts or fruit skewers. They are easy to make and eat with no cleanup or mess. They can be made ahead of time and place in plastic bags for easy storage in the fridge.

for active people eating meals, i once read that salad greens and some protein stuffed in pita bread are a good and handy way to eat.

I've been making roll ups with tortillas filled with carrots, lettuce or shredded cabbage, avocado, green peppers and olives. They are delicious, easy to hold and cleanup is a breeze.