🔕 🔔

Cleaning the vegetable bin and fridge

Recently I read an article that stated a vegetable bin in your refrigerator should be cleaned ONCE A MONTH! I was surprised it was only once a month. I gagged reading that. Mine is cleaned every weekend, limp things tossed (if there are any), bin is washed and dried. I want my food to be stored in a well-kept, clean environment. Am I obsessive? Or do others clean there refrigerators once a week? Just curious.

asked 11 months ago
8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

No. Bins for are cleaned about 1 a month.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Once a month is the best I can hope for given my schedule, though if I notice anything past it's prime in there I'll toss it but not necessarily clean out the whole bin. I store my produce in bags as well so the bin stays pretty clean (and plus I figure you never know when those two bendy carrots sitting at the bottom are gonna come in handy ;)). Just got a new fridge though so maybe I'll be motivated to clean it more often if I have time (realistically though, probably not).

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I clean it out when it needs it - no set schedule, but not every week. I also store my vegetables in containers or bags, so it's not like there are rotting bits lingering in there.

811e1ed1 7ab7 42e6 a995 dac26bd3a728  img 4692

I appreciate all the replies. Guess I'm a bit compulsive by cleaning it once a week, however I enjoy doing it. The whole kitchen gets cleaned like that, stove everyday, counter tops, microwave get wiped out after every use, sink a couple of times a day. I enjoy cleaning and have things sparkle. That's just me :)