🔕 🔔

Tips for Cleaning a pasta machine.

I have a manual pasta roller--an Imperia. It is so much fun to use but a bear to clean. I use a dry toothbrush and a toothpick to fish out the little bits but wonder if anyone has other techniques they use. I'd live to use the machine more often!

asked by Windischgirl over 1 year ago

Your rollers should be easy to clean. I just sprinkle some flour on and dust it off with a pastry brush. If you have gunk building up possibly your dough is too wet when you are running it through. I knead mine, rolling it over bench flour and then let it rest wrapped in plastic for 30 minutes. Rule of thumb, cut off an "egg" sized ball of dough and put through rollers to desired thickness.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Thanks, Pierino. I actually should have been more specific--it's the cutting blades that harbor little shreds of pasta. I have a fettuccini/spaghetti blade and a capellini blade. Because of the metal framework supporting the blades, there's a lot of hiding places!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The cutting blades can be a problem. Try making some very rough dough with lots of salt to act as a scrubber grabber and run that through a few times.
I usually have some scrapes left over and I make those a bit dryer and salty and run it through.

Thanks, Sam. Will have to try next time!