🔕 🔔

Avoid bronze artichokes?

I saw a ton of artichokes at the local produce store, some very green and some totally bronze. The bronze ones also seemed a different shape so I thought they were separate varieties. Google revealed that the bronzing comes from frost exposure. Should bronze artichokes be avoided or are they perfectly OK? If I ever moved to California it might be to be near the center of the artichoke industry.

asked by caninechef over 1 year ago

C3530c17 ce9c 45b2 9755 cac310550f38  pi day 2015

I have always read that the bronzing from frost is not a problem

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

We get those "frost-kissed" artichokes here in California as well. They are, as you hoped, perfectly okay. Totally bronze ones with a different shape would make me ask some questions wouldn't automatically make me avoid them.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Castro Valley is the artichoke capital and I must say I have never seen artichokes as large and beautiful as what they grow there. We'd drive down just to pick up a bag of them. That was dinner, they were that large. An artichoke, sour dough bread and a glass of white wine. Those were the days!

39335fad f946 49ac 9ce6 10340da60150  fb avatar

I think spell check has messed with you. Castroville is the center of the world for artichokes. Castro Valley is a San Francisco Bay Area suburb - and nice enough place, but the only artichokes there are in home gardens and at the supermarket

Thanks, Jordan, for catching the error, yes, Castroville!