🔕 🔔

It's A Miracle: PERFECT POACHED EGGS w/No Fuss !!

Have A&M featured this and I missed it? Has Kenji Alt-Lopez seen it? Has it been all over the web? I did a 52 search but only found ~5 yr.old info. Forgive me if this is old hat to you, but I really do feel like I've discovered sliced bread! For those of you who have not seen this technique on the web, here's my adaptation to the PowerWow technique:

Spray a 12" square of clear plastic wrap with non-stick spray, or brush with oil. Place it over a small bowl and push down to make a depression. Sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and a little red wine vinegar (not required; it's just my taste). Crack a large or x lg. egg into the wrap. Bring up the corners of the wrap and twist tightly just above the egg, using a twist-tie to seal the wrap/ pouch. Lower the pouch into a pot of gently boiling water for 3-4 minutes.Lift out and place on your toast or grits etc. Snip open the wrap and tilt the egg out. Discard the wrap. Ta Da!!
I tried it and loooved it; hope you do too.

asked by LE BEC FIN over 1 year ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

There was some love for that technique in the comments of Amanda's Perfect Poached Eggs from a few years back: https://food52.com/blog... It seems like it has a loyal following, especially for making multiple eggs at a time.

159fa81e df11 417f b133 59c3df6008c7  food53

I know that Alt-Lopez is everyone's kitchen hero, but the fact is that heated plastics especially (and plastics in general) are a monstrous health hazard that cause and contribute to multiple types of chronic, systemic, and immune-system diseases of every age group (and lots of negative effects on women's hormones). Alt-Lopez didn't create the problem, but someone as chemistry-aware as he is could be a little more wider-world-aware. Google and research if you're concerned. I'm just the messenger.

My edit: Mistakenly thought it was an Alt-Lopez invention. He was just being referred to in the question. I retract what I said about him.

I agree. I do store my foods in the freezer in Ziploc bags, but no way would I cook with plastic.