Could I make this without poaching the eggs...

I am trying to find something special to make my mother for Mother's Day breakfast, and I came across this:

http://www.seriouseats...

The idea and sauce sounds wonderful but my mother doesn't like her eggs with the yolks and whites separate. When making Eggs Benedict and Huevos Rancheros, she always mixes her egg and then fries it. Do you think it would be possible to do something similar for the above recipe? Make the sauce, and fry the eggs separately and then once the sauce is properly cooked down, just place the eggs on top of it?

asked by Naomi about 1 year ago

Why not?
It won't be as developed or named, but if your mother likes these flavors and cooking techniques for her day, yes..

Absolutely. You can make the shakshouka sauce as a side-condiment to an omelet or scrambled eggs. It will be delicious. In fact it will almost be as if there is more of it because when you poach eggs in the sauce, it tends to reduce and dry out a bit and there seems to be less of it.

scruz

also, not dealing with the question, but what i have been doing recently with leftover pasta sauce is heating a small amount and poaching the egg in it. partner loves it. sometimes served over warmed pasta noodles but fav is leftover fried polenta. similar concept but another idea for using up leftovers.

Naomi

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely make this then! Any tips on when I might know when the sauce has cooked enough? Since I won't have the eggs to go off os?

It's a fresh sauce, doesn't need long. Enough to cook some aromatics or slightly thicken tge tomamtoes. Go by taste and sight.

just enough to thicken slightly, as Kenji notes 10-ish mins.

Naomi

Thank you very much!

Naomi

Thank you so much! I really really appreciate all the help and answers!

Naomi

Thank you everybody so much for the help! I made it and she loved it! :-D

scruz

you're a good kid!