🔕 🔔

am having trouble finding even at gourmet food stores--does instant steel cut oatmeal exist?

asked by @megshusk over 6 years ago

4a244a3e 71b1 485d 9998 3861fe93b949  birdhouse avatar 80x80

I googled, and it appears that McCann's offers a product called Quick & Easy irish steel cut oats.

http://www.mccanns.ie/p_QuickEasy...

Maybe contact them to find a store that carries it. :)

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Sorry, you're out of luck.

If you have a Crock Pot, do what Alton Brown taught me: cook steel-cut oats while you sleep and they'll be ready when you wake up.

663f6437 fe75 4f5a 97d5 5dae5bece2ad  img 4597

I believe they carry the McCann's instant product at Trader Joe's sometimes.

I've been using the McCann's Quick-Cooking Steel Cut oats and they are really good. I make a few servings in my rice cooker and then just heat in the microwave when I'm ready to eat them. Nice texture!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

almost instant, if you think ahead: simmer regular SC oats for 10 minutes before you go to bed, then finish cooking in the morning -- painless, delicious.

Dang! TJ is a 45-minute trip for me. Now that I know about it, I gotta get me some.

betteirene, what proportions do you use when cooking steel cut oats in the slow cooker? I usually do what SusanG suggests, but am playing around with savory porridges quite a bit these days, in which the flavors would do well to simmer with heat, instead of just steeping. Thanks! ;o)

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

AJ, have you tried using ying's technique? http://www.food52.com/recipes...

HLA, I have, but really didn't like the Elmer's glue consistency, at least not in that recipe. When you cook the stuff on the stove, and stir it occasionally, a fair bit of water evaporates, leaving a firmer, slightly more toothsome consistency, which I prefer. Thanks, though! ;o)

And then there's the rice cooker version, and oats in a Thermos, too.

Even though I cited Alton Brown, I used his name in vain. His recipe for overnight oatmeal calls for water, oats, half-and-half, cranberries and figs. I love all that stuff, but I don't like it so much when it's all cooked together--I'd much rather put add-ins into the bowl instead of the cooking pot.

I do this instead: http://greenlitebites.com... I once used apple juice for the water--it was okay, not as great as I anticipated. Also, I don't sleep long, so mine only cook for about six hours. They have a bit of chew to them.

BTW, Mark Bittman does his on the stove in 25 minutes while he's showering and shaving. He's partial to savory oats and enjoys a bowlful with a dollop of tapenade and a drizzle of olive oil. No thanks.

I'm not into oatmeal, but have read that a good (ie. zojirushi) rice cooker with a timer does a fabulous job of making oatmeal by itself overnight.