🔕 🔔

Under Ripe Mango

I just bought a large container of pre-sliced mangoes. They looked lovely in the container and were pre-sliced, so.... Turns out, they taste sour with a bitter aftertaste. Any suggestions on how to use them? My preference would be an option that would not involve loads of sugar. Thanks Ellen

asked by EMR over 1 year ago

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

When I was living in Miami we had a Mango tree and plenty of mangoes. I used to boil them mixed with apples, mango bones included and no sugar added. Once cooked I will blend them and make mango puree. My son was 2 at the time and he loved them, I did too !
I never made Mango sorbet, I don't know why but they will loose their flavour. It could have been the variety.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

make them into a sweet and sour chutney, I have a version with apples, but just sub the unripe mangoes
https://food52.com/recipes...

Cav

Mango Chutney is generally made (in my experience) with under-ripe mangoes, and is always on the table with Indian food in my house. Ideal suggestion.

If you like smoothies, you could add them.

Southeast Asians like to eat under-ripe mango with some chili & salt. We like the crunchy texture of the under ripe mango and the sour/salt/spicy combination of flavors. We also make a sauce of fish sauce, sugar and chilis to dip spears of the green mango.

Another thing that you can do is shred it and make a green mango salad. Like this one from Cambodia, https://droolfactor.wordpress...

EMR

I ended up using a bit of advice from all of the answers re what to do with under ripe mangoes. I cooked up some apple pieces and the mangoes (with some dates, raisins and cinnamon sticks) in a crockpot for a base. I then used the base in a curry (with some added spices), as baby food, and in a smoothie with some toasted coconut thrown in. My family gave all versions a big thumbs up. I still want to try out the mango salad. Thanks to all of you for your ideas. Ellen

Dates, raisins and cinnamon sticks, what a great idea ! Well done !