Under Ripe Mango

I just bought a large container of pre-sliced mangoes. They looked lovely in the container and were pre-sliced, so.... Turns out, they taste sour with a bitter aftertaste. Any suggestions on how to use them? My preference would be an option that would not involve loads of sugar. Thanks Ellen

asked by EMR over 2 years ago

Panfusine

make them into a sweet and sour chutney, I have a version with apples, but just sub the unripe mangoes
https://food52.com/recipes...

Cav
Cav

Mango Chutney is generally made (in my experience) with under-ripe mangoes, and is always on the table with Indian food in my house. Ideal suggestion.

grandrivergirl

If you like smoothies, you could add them.

Southeast Asians like to eat under-ripe mango with some chili & salt. We like the crunchy texture of the under ripe mango and the sour/salt/spicy combination of flavors. We also make a sauce of fish sauce, sugar and chilis to dip spears of the green mango.

Another thing that you can do is shred it and make a green mango salad. Like this one from Cambodia, https://droolfactor.wordpress...

EMR
EMR

I ended up using a bit of advice from all of the answers re what to do with under ripe mangoes. I cooked up some apple pieces and the mangoes (with some dates, raisins and cinnamon sticks) in a crockpot for a base. I then used the base in a curry (with some added spices), as baby food, and in a smoothie with some toasted coconut thrown in. My family gave all versions a big thumbs up. I still want to try out the mango salad. Thanks to all of you for your ideas. Ellen