Does anyone have tips for drying your own fruit at home? Preferably without a fruit dehydrator?

I've heard rumors of hanging up fresh, thinly-sliced mango in a kitchen and just leaving it there for a few months to dry out. Has anyone experimented with this or other such projects?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 5 years ago

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I put 2lb pitted cherries on parchment paper on a sheet tray in a low oven for about 6hr and they came out great... brought them to the beach as a snack and ate them all in one sitting. Been thinking about what to try next. Have always mulled getting a dehydrator but still want to see if I can manage without it. I think it's more energy-efficient to have if you're dehydrating anything in real volume, but otherwise not worth counter space (at least for me). What else are you thinking of doing besides mango?

petitbleu

I used to have a wooden dehydrator that you would sit out in the sun. The fruit (or veg or herbs) would sit on a screen raised up from the bottom, and the top was a piece of plexiglass. To prevent delicate herbs from losing their color, you could put a black piece of poster board below the plexiglass. It was awesome and worked perfectly. If you know someone who's good with wood, you might think about getting them to make you one.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I wish I could use one of those!! Too bad I have no outdoor space. One day, one day....