🔕 🔔

How should I cook frozen green beans?

I have at least four pounds of frozen green beans. How do I make them taste good?

asked by Sarah A. Swong over 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

There should be cooking instructions on the package. If you've never cooked frozen green beans before, it would be advisable to follow the manufacturer's instructions, at least the first time around.

As for how to make them taste good, adding copious amounts of high quality butter is a well proven technique in handling vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste. You could squeeze in a little fresh lemon juice if you like acidity. That tends to brighten flavors.

Good luck.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I would defrost and drain/dry and use it in a recipe that appeals to you.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

With frozen, I'd do something that doesn't depend on them having top fresh flavor or snap. Simply sauteed in butter and/or olive oil, chopped garlic, s&p would be easy.

Or you can do Greek braised green beans with tomato, onion and garlic, etc. I've used fresh, but they braise until soft anyway. Lots of flavor. This recipe specifies fresh or frozen: http://www.thekitchn.com...

0e504dc5 47bb 4e79 bfb3 eda91f560634  fb avatar
added about 1 month ago

Shake It Up old school like we do in the country. Put it in a pressure cooker with some bacon drippings, 10 pounds of pressure for 20 minutes. Serve that with some cornbread and tomatoes
and you've got a meal!

added about 1 month ago

Make a from-scratch high quality version of a retro (packaged food) classic...green bean casserole. Mix with tons of (assorted) sauteed mushrooms, some good cream and either roasted or deep-fried onions (if the latter, put on top of casserole at last minute).