How should I cook frozen green beans?

I have at least four pounds of frozen green beans. How do I make them taste good?

702551
702551 May 16, 2016

There should be cooking instructions on the package. If you've never cooked frozen green beans before, it would be advisable to follow the manufacturer's instructions, at least the first time around.

As for how to make them taste good, adding copious amounts of high quality butter is a well proven technique in handling vegetables. Salt and pepper to taste. You could squeeze in a little fresh lemon juice if you like acidity. That tends to brighten flavors.

Good luck.

sexyLAMBCHOPx May 17, 2016

I would defrost and drain/dry and use it in a recipe that appeals to you.

amysarah May 17, 2016

With frozen, I'd do something that doesn't depend on them having top fresh flavor or snap. Simply sauteed in butter and/or olive oil, chopped garlic, s&p would be easy.

Or you can do Greek braised green beans with tomato, onion and garlic, etc. I've used fresh, but they braise until soft anyway. Lots of flavor. This recipe specifies fresh or frozen: http://www.thekitchn.com...

Bridget Henry Daniels
Bridget Henry Daniels August 17, 2017

Shake It Up old school like we do in the country. Put it in a pressure cooker with some bacon drippings, 10 pounds of pressure for 20 minutes. Serve that with some cornbread and tomatoes
and you've got a meal!

Nancy August 17, 2017

Make a from-scratch high quality version of a retro (packaged food) classic...green bean casserole. Mix with tons of (assorted) sauteed mushrooms, some good cream and either roasted or deep-fried onions (if the latter, put on top of casserole at last minute).