🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: The Walnut Variation: A Cake

7e1bf187 3e46 4256 9e6f 957a0c4f8f32  2014 0520 finalist walnut variation cake 189

I have a question about the recipe "The Walnut Variation: A Cake" from Aliwaks. If making the walnut cake one day before would it need to be refrigerated due to the meringue?

asked by Pam Kozlow over 1 year ago

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

Pam-- Don't refrigerate it --- do you have a covered cake plate? or cake Carrier? just keep it cool and if you have a little silica packet (like from shoes or a purse-- the ones that say do not eat) slip that in there to keep out any moisture. IF you can make the layers ahead and add the whip cream the day of, it will be even better

74be4ed6 ba62 4aab 9be5 a4f5f4ee9617  fb avatar

Sorry I forgot to mention that I live in Florida and it's pretty humid here right now so I might be taking a risk attempting to make this luscious looking cake?

Ok so you can refrigerate it, it will just be a little softer I've put leftovers in fridge adn it was still pretty darned good--- do you have a covered cake dish, carrier some thing that you can put the layers with a silica packet? you lose the crispness when it in the fridge-- its crisp meringue not fluffy like a lemon meringue pie

Meringue is not a good choice for humid weather. It's very likely (certain??) to become chewy and not at all crisp. And you can't refrigerate meringue. There's too much humidity in the fridge and it will also turn the meringue chewy and weepy.

Thanks so much for a quick response I truly appreciate that.

Thanks so much for your answer. It's frustrating as one has only a short window to make meringue in Florida and that is in the winter months.