Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Zahav Lamb Shoulder

I would like to make Zahav's Lamb Shoulder -- for the first time. There are several recipes on the web, and they all call for different cooking temperatures 300F (http://andrewzimmern.com...), 325F (https://www.pannacooking...) and 350F (http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline...), etc. If you made this dish, which temperature did you use? I usually slow cook lamb way below 300F, but there are chickpeas involved in this recipe... Would appreciate any tips, pointers. Thanks!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

asked 6 months ago
Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

If you haven't already made it, you might try sending a message to Phyllis Grant, since she cooked over 20 recipes from it for the Piglet, perhaps that was one she tried!

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I'll definitely send Phyllis a message -- the dish is a little bit of an undertaking, so I am not surprised that few (or none?) have cooked it. Plus, I am still trying to locate the right piece of lamb :)

Good luck and keep us updated with how it goes!

88272434 8a36 415a 95df ca3b909726f8  saveur portrait3

I did not make the lamb shoulder recipe but I just read through it and it sounds wonderful. But oh my goodness what a production! I often brown my shoulder before putting it in the oven covered at 300F for 4-5 hours. Sometimes I submerge it in wine and tomato sauce. Sometimes I just tuck in slices of garlic and rosemary and slow-cook it without liquid. It's kind of hard to mess it up. That's why I love braising meat! I would say following the Zahav recipe faithfully would be a good idea. What a payoff! Or, google Jamie Oliver's lamb shoulder recipes for some much simpler ideas. Let me know what you make or if you have any more questions.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for getting back! And you are right, this dish is a production. I like to slow roast meat at low temperatures (like 220F for 7 hours) and the meat is oh-so-wonderful, so I wondered if it would work here, but then there are chickpeas involved??? That question aside, there are still many things in the Zahav recipe that are giving me hard time. I still have not acquired the lamb, but yesterday I did an experiment with pork roast (it was much cheaper than oh-so-expensive lamb shoulder). I followed the Zahav process exactly and roasted the meat at 300F for five hours in an 8 qt Dutch oven with a lid. The meat is great, but I ended up with A LOT of liquid. A LOT. The pork is now resting in the braise in the refrigerator, and I am supposed to finish the dish tonight, but I do not see how all this liquid will reduce to a thick glaze that we see in the pictures of the dish on the Internet. Also, 1/2 cup of pomegranate molasses barely yielded any flavor, so I am wondering if 1/2 cup is a typo? Finally, the recipe does not say what to do with the chickpeas, do they accompany the meat in the final roast or not (I suppose not, but I could be wrong)? Any thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.

sorry i didn't get back to you yesterday. after braising for many hours, i often remove the meat and separately reduce down the remaining liquid. so i guess that's what i would do with the lamb. i would remove the meat, strain out the chick peas, and then reduce down the liquid. before reducing it you could add wine and more pomegranate molasses. once it's it's reduced and thick, stir in the chick peas and spoon it all over the meat.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

That's exactly what I did (great minds think alike - ha ha ha). I added a tablespoon of Dijon and about 1/2 cup more of the molasses (without that the sauce did not have any pronounced flavor. Next time I am adding a garlic clove.). Reduced the sauce to a thick syrup and then basted the meat with it during the final roast. And I pretty much arrived to the dish they show in the pictures!!! Yay to that. Another observation for those brave enough to go on this journey is that the recipe does not call for any salt and pepper other than those used in the brine. That did not work either and the meat was very under-seasoned (serves me well for following the recipe 100% percent, and not trusting my gut), so next time I will season the meat before browning it.

Sashy, I am so impressed with you. Did you find a shoulder with ribs attached? I'm buying a side of lamb and my farmer has had to request a special cut from his butcher for me. Can't wait to make this with your adjustments.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Susan, I did not find the shoulder with the ribs attached, I am still shopping around and you are one lucky individual to have it! I will be making another attempt at the roast later this week. If you are interested in making the dish, I would be happy to type in exactly what I did and email it to you, because I feel that the recipe in the book might have been written in a bit of a rush...

Sashy, I would love to get the details. I only have one of these roasts, so your detailed experience would be appreciated.

Are you in the states? I forget where you are. I didn't find my lamb farmer using this, but I have referred a few clients to this resource and they have been happy with it. www.eatwild.com

I'll message you my email.