🔕 🔔

Tacos al carbon recipe

I recently bought some dried eucalyptus leaves at a Hispanic grocery store, not really having any idea how I was going to use it. I asked the cashier what they were meant for and she said that they were used in tacos al carbon - the dried leaves were mixed with the marinade and they provided the signature flavor of the dish. I have searched and searched and just cannot find any recipe for tacos al carbon that call for dried eucalyptus leaves. Can anyone help me out, please? :)

asked by Madhuja over 1 year ago

Cav

Sure it wasn't Tacos al Koala?

(couldn't resist. I only know eucalyptus as a decongestant, not as an ingredient)

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

That doesn't sound right. I never heard of cooking with eucalyptus. they're not even native to north America. Are you sure it's eucalyptus? maybe it's dried cilantro.

Are you positive they aren't bay leaves? I've never heard of cooking with eucalyptus leaves.

I looked around for eucalyptus in Mexican cuisine and there's plant called hoja santa, which among other flavors, has accents of eucalyptus in its flavor profile. Hoja santa is used in moles and with meat, chicken, & fish. http://recipes.wikia.com...

That saide, my suggestion is to try adding the eucalyptus (a small amount) to a marinade for tacos al carbon (which is just charcoal grilled meat). I trust the recipe from Homesick Texan, http://www.homesicktexan...

So add maybe 1/2-1 tsp of the dried eucalyptus to the marinade.

You can also make a tea for chest congestion with dried eucalyptus or add some to a hot vapor humidifier when you have a cold/cough.

Ca7fccb8 666c 41dc a074 438636998431  spiceroute

Thanks everyone, for all your help! I think the leaves are definitely some kind of eucalyptus (I attached a pic) - it certainly smells like it! I am going to try HalfPint's suggestion and put a small amount in the marinade and see what happens!

4bed6c56 3f5a 408d bfea 051b6cace6cf  img 20160622 144833846