The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

Harissa/Berbere in tacos/southwestern style food?

I'm recently in love with my harissa and berbere pepper blends, would like to use them on a marinade for seitan, tofu or tempeh and make sandwiches or tacos. I'd like to do the tacos, really, but what other "toppings" would combine well? Definitely will use caramelized onions, but for a salsa? Are tomatoes in or out? Cilantro? And then...what beer for the other hand?

asked by Raquelita about 5 years ago
C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I'd do a simple marinated cucumber/salsa, maybe with coarsely grated carrots . The color would be beautiful, and the clean taste would punctuate the spicy. Tzatziki sauce would be delicious too -- yogurt taking it a few steps further. Yes to the cilantro. I had falafel in Israel with fried eggplant slices -- wonderful, but you need the crunchy too. Maybe you want to use pita? I like the containment.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

One of the biggest hits in LA in recent years was the Kogi trucks' runaway success with things like Korean barbecue tacos with kimchi. The tortilla is just the platform.