🔕 🔔

Can i use white rum instead of dark rum in a rum cake? Maybe add a littlw lemon to the icing. Will it still turn out

Making a rum cake fro my friends birthday. Money is a little tight and I already have raspberry rum. Can I use that instead of dark rum? And if its gonna to change the flavor..maybe add a little lemon to the icing? Do you think it would still taste pretty good? Also, my friend doesn't like nuts...so is there something else crunchy I can top it with? Or just leave it off completely?

asked by Jessica farrier about 1 year ago

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I don't see why not. The dark rum has a more complex richer flavor because it is aged in wood.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

It'll probably be edible, maybe even good (raspberry rum?)but radically different. You might consider whiskey if you have that.

For crunchy topping (instead of nuts), think Caribbean - to go with the rum. Scatter on the frosting:
Coconut - dried shaved slices or shreds, toasted
Banana chips.
Dried cherries (yes, Caribbean).
Or finish it with meringues...in rosettes or whatever shape you like. Can be used around the top of the cake to hold candles, raspberries, some of the other toppings. Or toasted, shredded & scattered on top.
Please let us know what you decide to do and how it works out...:)

Thank you. Wonderful ideas.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I'm not familiar with raspberry rum, but maybe expound on the flavor it will give your cake - decorate the top with fresh berries instead of a crunchy element. Or do berries and shaved chocolate curls - rum, berries and chocolate would be a tasty combination.