Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Eek! I took your advice and let my white rice sit and now the bottom burned black. What do I do? Scrape it?

asked by XXX-XXX-1371 almost 6 years ago
23007dae 98d4 4418 9e07 bea64bd00e2f  lynn4

You have to make it fresh again this time lower the heat once the rice begins to boil then leave it alone to simmer until the water is absorbs then take off the heat and let it sit

I did'nt see the advice you got, but you likely will have to remake the rice. After the initial boil, I always turn it down to the lowest setting. You don't want to scrape up a burnt bottom of a dish into the stuff on top. Sometimes the non burnt part can be salvaged, but for rice, I think it will taste terrible and burnt throughout. So scrape it into the trash, start over. I usually let rice cook 15 to 20 mihnutes, till the water is absorbed, then I move it off the heat, OR on a keep warm setting if I don't need it right away. By the way, electric rice cookers make perfect rice everytime.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Been there, done that, more than once. You might find that all but the bottom inch of rice is edible. If the top tastes too smoky for you, start over--it takes only 15-20 minutes. It will probably take longer to clean the pan.

In a medium saucepan, measure 1/2 cup rice for each serving. Add 1 tsp. oil, olive oil or butter for each serving. Heat and stir the rice and oil over medium-high heat until the grains turn milky white. Add 1/4 tsp. table salt and 1 cup water (or chicken broth or tomato juice) per serving. Bring to a full rolling boil and turn heat to the lowest setting. As soon as the level of liquid disappears below the level of the rice, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Let the rice sit for 10 or 15 minutes--DO NOT LIFT THE LID--fluff with a fork and serve.

(4 servings = 2 cups rice, 4 tsp. oil, 1-2 tsp. salt, 4 cups liquid)

Burned popcorn and rice are the two hardest substances to remove from the bottom of a pan. Here's an earlier discussion about cleaning burned popcorn and Le Creuset:
http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

Bin it and start again. Common sense