What is the name of this Jewish bread with apples? I just bought it at Farmer's Market and can't remember what the baker called it. Thank you. It is the one on the right in the photo.

2ecbf84b 1141 4aeb 96f3 4cfb94c766a5  croissant

latoscana
latoscana January 22, 2011

Apfelkuchen? Just a guess.

amysarah January 22, 2011

Was it 'babka'? A Jewish babka is made with raised dough (using yeast) and is usually mildly sweet - kind of a cross between a bread and a cake.

It's often rolled around a cinnamon sugar or grated chocolate filling and has a swirled look inside, but it can have other fillings - my grandmother used to make one that looked a lot like the one in your picture, but studded with raisins, not apples.

betteirene
betteirene January 23, 2011

It looks like challah with some apple slices thrown in.

Challah is a lightly sweetened, yeasty, buttery egg bread. The recipe I use makes a dough so soft that it's almost pourable.

I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, with and without the "ch" sound, sometimes with a gutteral clear-your-throat sound, but most often "hallah."