🔕 🔔

2ecbf84b 1141 4aeb 96f3 4cfb94c766a5  croissant

What is the name of this Jewish bread with apples? I just bought it at Farmer's Market and can't remember what the baker called it. Thank you. It is the one on the right in the photo.

asked by cowgirlculture almost 7 years ago

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Apfelkuchen? Just a guess.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Was it 'babka'? A Jewish babka is made with raised dough (using yeast) and is usually mildly sweet - kind of a cross between a bread and a cake.

It's often rolled around a cinnamon sugar or grated chocolate filling and has a swirled look inside, but it can have other fillings - my grandmother used to make one that looked a lot like the one in your picture, but studded with raisins, not apples.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

It looks like challah with some apple slices thrown in.

Challah is a lightly sweetened, yeasty, buttery egg bread. The recipe I use makes a dough so soft that it's almost pourable.

I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, with and without the "ch" sound, sometimes with a gutteral clear-your-throat sound, but most often "hallah."