🔕 🔔

I'm trying to come up with a veggie side for a goulash, and I want to use the Savoy cabbage I have in the fridge. Any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of a sweet/sour cabbage, but I'm not sure if a Savoy would be quite right for it. Thanks!

asked by lifestooshort almost 7 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I think Savoy would work for that. Here's a cabbage salad I like (has a nice tang): http://bit.ly/f9e0T8

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Salad with vinaigrette, with poppy seed; sauteed in butter with onions and poppy seed.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

How about a cabbage and potato pierogi? I serve those with goulash, homemade applesauce, and sour cream. Sometimes caramelized onions and hardboiled eggs too.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Is it a Hungarian Goulash? Because a classic Hungarian cabbage dish is basically cabbage chopped or shredded, sauteed with onion (in lots of butter) until very soft, then mixed with egg noodles. All you season it with is s&p. Delicious - Hungarian soul food. Would go very nicely with goulash....in fact, it's often eaten with sour cream which is also in Hungarian goulash.

And this is the second Foodpickle question today that I invoked my grandmother's cooking to answer!

All of these sound so good--now my only foodpickle is which one(s) to make first! Thanks to all!

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Belatedly -- I think you could do fiveandspice's Suspiciously Delicious Cabbage, or, in the alternative, treat it like it's red cabbage and braise it with cider vinegar and spices. I'd be inclined toward braised red cabbage with goulash, but then, I'm inclined toward braised red cabbage with most anything.

My favorite with a nice savoy cabbage is Julia Child's really simple technique of steaming cabbage wedges over chicken stock, then, once the cabbage is cooked, reducing the remaining stock and mounting it with a bit of butter (plus a bit of s&p) to make a sauce for it. Really simple, really delicious.