Help!! Once you make "broth" with a chicken bouillon cube does it need to be refrigerated? I threw some asparagus, water a cube in a pot yesterday and once it came to a boil I shut it off and left it on the stove to make cream of asparagus soup - but I forgot about it overnight - can I re-boil and make the soup today or do you think I might make my family sick since it was not refrigerated? Thanks in advance for advice!

asked by Momms over 7 years ago

I would toss it and start over - not worth risking and it was out a pretty long time ... I think long enough for something buggy to grow. Boiling would PROBABLY be safe, but why risk it?

Momms

DARN! That's what I thought, was hoping all that salt in the bouillon would "preserve" it. I was craving it and I have no more asparagus ;-( thanks for the reply.

Momms

Just an FYI for those interested. I just called Hormel Foods (the brand of cube I used) - they said throw it out - cannot be left out more than a hour just like fresh chicken broth. Bummer but good to know for the future.

innoabrd

stock is pretty similar to what they culture germs on...I'd toss it.

jwolfsthal

raising the question - why would one ever used cubes?!