🔕 🔔

SOS. I'm baking a cake this afternoon a recipe that calls for vege oil which i recently used up. Can I substitute butter my preferred ingredient? I do have canola on hand.

asked by isabelita about 7 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

You can absolutely use canola oil in place of vegetable oil; I actually use that for most of my cakes. Melted butter is also an option, though it will change the density and crumb of your cake, so just be aware of that.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Yes, you can substitute butter for oil. I've done it many times. It sometimes results in a different texture or flavor than intended, but it has always worked. To be safe, if you've never made this recipe before, use the canola--it's a perfect substitute for vegetable oil.

If you'd really, really rather use the butter because you're thinking it would enhance the flavor of the cake, clarify it first. Then you won't have to do all kinds of calculations to account for the extra water that butter contains. Use the clarified butter measure-for-measure for the oil.

Definately use the clarified butter! Better yet, brown it...unless it's a white cake!

623c5ca7 5e72 4d13 bc61 bdb755715ae5  mail

I loved all the answers and settled on canola oil. Cake turned out to be quite tasty. Thank you.