🔕 🔔

How do I prevent the water from boiling over onto the stovetop when making hard boiled eggs?

asked by XXX-XXX-1371 over 6 years ago

Avoid boiling eggs on a hard boil.If boiling through the cooking process, they should be cooking on a simmer.

Here's another method that should help too:
http://simplyrecipes.com...

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Here's how I do it: Place eggs in a pot of cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately move off the heat and let eggs sit in hot water for 13 minutes. I get a perfect hard boiled egg every time.

I do the same as mrslarkin, but my time is 10 minutes. Perfect every time and no green ring around the yolk.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I also use the bring to a boil and sit process, but after the rest, run under cold water. Maybe that's to prevent burned fingertips if you want to peel them right away. Sometimes I put unpeeled garlic cloves in the water to peel and mash into the eggs.

The other answer is: use a bigger pot. I constantly had hot cereals boiling over -- and even with the bigger pot they still do if I don't pay attention.

Or get one of those boil over preventer glass disc things. They work.

Nora Ephron in Heartburn taught how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg. As above, eggs in pot, bring to boil, off heat.

3a07161a c04e 4fa1 b28d 18a97a109314  img 7662

I agree with most.. best way.. bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat, 10- 12 minutes for hard boiled...7 minutes for lovely soft melty center.

I have been using this method all my life. No green rings, no soft middle and easy to peel. I do 5 min. on and 5 min. off. Remind you of anything? Pilaf method 10 miin on 10 min. Off. That's how I remember. Although don't forget to shock in cold water and leave in cold water after 5 min. off. minutes.

To answer the question though: A lid, lower the flame a little, less water, bigger pot. One or more of these could possibly help.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

The prep kitchen rule of thumb for mass quantities of hard-cooked eggs: For however many eggs you're cooking, they need to go into a pot that's deep enough to cover them with at least one inch of water for each layer of eggs. (If you only need six eggs, put them in a 1 1/2- or 2-quart saucepan and add enough cold tap water to cover them by one inch. If you need 36 eggs, put them in a stock pot or Dutch oven; if there's 3 layers of eggs, the water should be three inches above the topmost egg.)

Put the pot over high heat; the moment the water comes to a full rolling boil, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Set a timer for 12 minutes. When the eggs are done, use a spider or slotted spoon to remove them from the pot to a bowl or a sink full of cold tap water and ice. Crack them gently by tapping them all over with the handle of a butter knife and let them chill in the water for 10-15 minutes. Peel the eggs and use immediately, or refrigerate them in cold water in a tightly covered container. If you change the water every other day, the eggs will be good for a week. (Restaurants usually store their eggs that way. Hotels that offer free breakfast and other restaurants get their boiled eggs in five-gallon buckets full of water and citric acid--these eggs last a whole month.)

add a touch of vinegar to the water. if your eggs crack, this will keep them from leaking too much of the egg into the water.

Liked betteirene's prep kitchen how-to! Next time I make any type of devilled eggs for a large group, I'll know how to prepare the hard boiled eggs. Now, how to select the right recipe?!
I agree with rolling boil and then off for desired time. Works for me everytime. I dump my over-full icemaker for the ice bath - keeps the ice fresher for other uses.