Good recipe for large cakes?

I'll be making a tiered cake for a wedding shower in a few weeks and am curious if anyone has a tried and true recipe that they know will be consistent in larger pans (12"). It is surprising how many blogs use mixes, and to be honest even though I am a bit of a homemade- cake snob I was considering going that route if it was truly the best idea. But Id rather not... I was thinking maybe a good sheet cake recipe would be a good idea? Thanks for your opinions!

asked by Jennifer W over 2 years ago

Look at Rose Levy Beranbaum's first cookbook, The Cake Bible.
There's a whole section on making wedding cakes, including the amounts needed for tiers.
Haven't made those, but everything else of the (many) recipes I baked from that book have turned out and tasted delicious.
May be worth buying a copy....you'll find use for it after making the wedding shower cake.
It has good recipes, references, tool & source lists, accessory sub-recipes (icings, garnishes, etc).

Dona

I bought The Cake Bible used from Amazon for about $2 recently. Great resource.

Check out Ina Garten's site. As a former cater she made many wedding cakes and shares recipes online. I'm a huge Ina fan and find her recipes to fit my style of cooking. Good luck!

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen baked a wedding cake for some friends, and chronicled it in a series of posts. Here's the part with the cake recipes (one white, one chocolate, in up to 12" squares): http://smittenkitchen.com...
And here's the links to the other parts: http://smittenkitchen.com...