🔕 🔔

Good recipe for large cakes?

I'll be making a tiered cake for a wedding shower in a few weeks and am curious if anyone has a tried and true recipe that they know will be consistent in larger pans (12"). It is surprising how many blogs use mixes, and to be honest even though I am a bit of a homemade- cake snob I was considering going that route if it was truly the best idea. But Id rather not... I was thinking maybe a good sheet cake recipe would be a good idea? Thanks for your opinions!

asked by Jennifer W over 1 year ago

05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

This is not a classic sheet cake but it can work well.
I made it in a 2 double doses once for a cake sale in Miami and sold all.
I did not layer it, but you could. I can assure you it is delicious especially the buttercream
https://food52.com/recipes...

Thanks:) Although this does sound delicious Im looking for an actual cake recipe for even layers and stacking.

Look at Rose Levy Beranbaum's first cookbook, The Cake Bible.
There's a whole section on making wedding cakes, including the amounts needed for tiers.
Haven't made those, but everything else of the (many) recipes I baked from that book have turned out and tasted delicious.
May be worth buying a copy....you'll find use for it after making the wedding shower cake.
It has good recipes, references, tool & source lists, accessory sub-recipes (icings, garnishes, etc).

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

I bought The Cake Bible used from Amazon for about $2 recently. Great resource.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Check out Ina Garten's site. As a former cater she made many wedding cakes and shares recipes online. I'm a huge Ina fan and find her recipes to fit my style of cooking. Good luck!

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen baked a wedding cake for some friends, and chronicled it in a series of posts. Here's the part with the cake recipes (one white, one chocolate, in up to 12" squares): http://smittenkitchen.com...
And here's the links to the other parts: http://smittenkitchen.com...