Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

We've moved from the suburbs with large kitchen and an outdoor grill. Our new city condo has no grill and the kitchen is so small and has very little

We've moved from the suburbs with large kitchen and an outdoor grill. Our new city condo has no grill and the kitchen is so small and has very little counter space. Any suggestions for a book or magazine with recipes that is geared toward folks in condos? Thank you!

asked by carlos 5 months ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

It seems you are looking for how to cook in a small space, which is a different conversation. Here is a great article on cooking on a sailboat that can give you some ideas http://www.bonappetit.com...- according-to-captain-chef-annie-mahle The issue isn't recipes, it is a way of innovating and organizing and using what you have optimally. I have a small galley kitchen after downsizing and find myself able to host dinner parties for 10 with less mess and stress than when I had a large kitchen. You will learn to love your new kitchen - focus on what you have rather than what you don't have. Good luck!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

SKK that link didn't work for me. Would love to read the article!

Here is another link that may be of use to you http://www.thekitchn.com...

A small kitchen can have it's advantages; you only have to walk a few feet to get something out of the fridge. Less counter to clean up and less floor to sweep. It helps to be organized and to have equipment you can both cook and serve in to save storage space (oven-proof ceramic casseroles for example). It may be counter-intuitive, but large cutting boards rather than small help avoid a mess. Knives can be mounted on magnetic strips on the wall. You can get by with fewer small electrics (I haven't used an electric coffee maker in about 20 years and never missed it; you can make better coffee with a teakettle and a Melitta cone). We avoid Costco like the plague (not difficult, there is none near me and I don't need gallon jars of pickles or industrial sized cans of beans anyway).
You may find you enjoy your city kitchen!

well, i think i would find some great barbque and steak places and either eat there or take out. sometimes, you just can't do what you need to without the proper and safe space for it.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

SKK is right, it's less of a matter of real estate than learning more efficiency from your available resources.

You will eventually adapt to the smaller spaces and learn to go up rather than wide. Many home cooks are surprised at the compactness of typical restaurant kitchens which are never spacious. What do you think a restaurant owner would prefer? Two extra tables or a prep counter for cooks?

As touched on by others, go vertical. Use walls, use your ceiling, use shelving since you don't have counter space. That stick blender's wall mount that you threw away at your old suburban home? Well, now you know where that wall mount is relevant now that you don't have kitchen drawer space for that stick blender.

There are efficiencies in a small galley kitchen, as others say, fewer steps between places. What does it take for me to go from my stove to my sink? I turn around and take *ONE* step. That means I can easily clean up while something is cooking on the stove and not feel like it's so far away that I can't tell what's happening.

I don't know if you have access to a deck or patio for grilling. That would be the harder loss for me than kitchen square footage. I've grilled some good (smaller) things on a Weber Smoky Joe Jr., both charcoal-fired and propane-fired when I lived at smaller places. My current place does not have a big patio, but I have a gas grill as well as a traditional Weber that I can drag to the complex's picnic area when I want to grill over a live flame.

If you can find even the smallest space to grill, that helps the person in the kitchen since it frees up at least one burner or the oven. Unclear what your new situation will allow.

For small space cooking, here's a cute and surprisingly useful book, The Itty Bitty Kitchen Handbook, came out in 2006, lots of useful tips:
https://www.amazon.com...

MMH

If you have a gas stove, I have used a grill pan successfully for years.

50e6ebd3 b4c9 4d51 bd5e 1163afa4ba06  2013wreath

Grill pans are great and I use a cast iron skillet for steaks and finish them in the oven (again, Ina's technique). They come out just like the ones in a restaurant.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

I love this article by Mark Bittman (with quotes from Marcella Hazan and Mario Batali!) about how he made do (writing cookbooks and testing recipes) in his small NYC kitchen. The Mario Batali quote is great: "Only bad cooks blame the equipment."

This Smitten Kitchen post also has some useful tips about cooking in a tiny kitchen: https://smittenkitchen...

For what it's worth, I have a small kitchen too. I have found that I just need to be super organized and that I have to be ruthless about eliminating all counter top clutter and kitchen tools that I don't routinely use because every inch in my kitchen is valuable real estate!

Can you find any hacks for creating more additional counter space (perhaps a wooden cutting board that straddles the sink, a dining room table that could double as an extra prep surface, etc.)? I created a pantry out of an underutilized hall closet to store non-perishables, stemware, and serving pieces, which has been a godsend. Good luck getting to know your cozy city kitchen!

I forgot to link to the NYT article. Here it is: http://www.nytimes.com...