What is the best way to tenderize beef steak

How to tenderize beef steak

Susan W July 14, 2016

What cut are you speaking of? To me, the term beef steak simply refers to one of many cuts of beef. Some need tenderizing by method of cooking, others are tender just the way they are. We need more information before we can properly help you.

PHIL
PHIL July 14, 2016

Susan is right, more information would be helpful. that said you can tenderize with a meat mallet(the spiky side) or by using a marinade. what cut is it and how thick is it?

Roberta Vose
Roberta Vose July 14, 2016

Top serloin about 1 1/2 inch thick

Susan W July 14, 2016

I've never found a top sirloin needs to be tenderized. Salt, pepper and a nice sear so that it forms a crust. You can slice it across the grain after it's rested which will give it a more tender texture. Because it is nice and thick, the reverse sear method may also be a good way to go.

Here's a good tutorial.

http://www.fudehouse.com/videos/2016/1/6/how-to-cook-the-best-steak-flip-the-script-the-reverse-sear

Roberta Vose
Roberta Vose July 14, 2016

Top serloin about 1 1/2 inch thick

pierino July 14, 2016

For this you might try an internal brine. That requires an injector. At least they are inexpensive. Marinades add flavor but they don't actually tenderize meat, especially thick cuts.

Roberta Vose
Roberta Vose July 14, 2016

Thank you so much for your help

PHIL
PHIL July 14, 2016

I agree with Susan W, Why do you need to tenderize it Roberta? What do you think Pierino? I would grill it or pan fry it medium rare. Salt & pepper , nice pat of butter in the pan and you're good to go.

pierino July 14, 2016

Ditto Phil. I would use a couple of squeezes of lemon quarters instead of butter though.