🔕 🔔

I was given a jar of fig & ginger jam. I'm not that into sweets -- any recommendations as to how to use this?

The jar is shelf-stable and has been in my pantry for a while!

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago

Stir 1 or 2 tablespoon sized scoops into plain, unflavored Greek yogurt such as Fage. The yogurt adds tartness to balance the sweet.

I don't know why my answer appeared three times. Sorry about that.

Use it in these savory treats come autumn (or now, but really, these are wonderful for Thanksgiving and winter holiday parties). https://food52.com/recipes...
Of course, you don't need much for those.
It would also be ideal on a cheese platter. Put out half a jar in a medium ramekin with a variety of cheeses - including of course with fruit for dessert -- and watch it disappear.
Also delicious on crostini along with lightly salted ricotta, as an appetizer, especially on grilled bread during the summer. If the jam seems too sweet, cut it with a touch of lemon juice and lemon zest.
So many options!
(Bottom line: I'd put 3 tablespoons of it in the freezer, to use in the blue cheese savories listed above, were I to open the jar within the next few months.) ;o)

Tasting from afar here but the ginger should add some sharpness too.

Use it in this fig pesto mascarpone cheescake
Epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Fig-Mascarpone-and-Pesto-Torte-13233#ixzz1ow5axvks
Or just serve as part of a cheese plate, with wonderful crackers, fruit and wines.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I have a jar too, and this is how I put that bad boy to work. Take a pizza shell , either make it or buy one or you could use some nice bread or foccacia like Antonia mentioned, bake the dough if uncooked. saute some onions nice and soft. rub some olive oil on the pizza/bread , put some onions on, then tear some strips of Prosciutto and put on the pizza, spread some fig jam right on the prosciutto here and there top with some shredded smoked mozzarella . pop it under the broiler to get a nice melt . After you eat this pizza you'll be buying more fig jam. For an easier option just spread on some crackers with some of your favorite cheeses.not as exciting but still good

Whoa, PHIL, I'm trying that! I was given a jar of fig+Meyer lemon jam that I have yet to open. What inspiration you've provided. Thank you. ;o)

Salivating over here. Yup, this is going on my weekend dinner plan.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I make it for my Mom , that's why I'n her favorite

Too funny, PHIL. Totally make sense. ;o)

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Try basting it on bacon to add to summer burgers.

sLCx, that sounds insanely delicious. Noted for future reference! ;o)

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I would mix with other ingredients (ketchup, Worcestershire, mustard, soy sauce, citrus juice, etc.) to make a BBQ sauce, particularly with pork.

- stir in into tea
- add to BBQ sauce or chicken marinade
- as salad dressing: olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then add jam, salt & pepper to taste (I'd say: 1/8-1/4 cup : 1/4 cup : 1T : 1/2 tsp : 1/4 tsp to start with)

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I spread it on a round of Brie and wrap the Brie in puffed pastry. Serve it warm, it is really delicious!

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

I love these fig and blue cheese savories (just put a tiny amount on each savory)
https://food52.com/recipes...

Some great ideas here! I would toss in...
- Use in place of simple syrup in a cocktail recipe or to sweeten tea (hot or iced) or club soda/seltzer.
- Grilled cheese & ham sandwich/panini - a sharp cheese and a bit of arugula will cut the sweetness.
- Stir it into oatmeal or overnight oats.

A really nice brie or camembert with rustic crackers would work really well with a little dollop of the jam on it. Yum!

Use it in a cocktail. Like this one http://www.dessertfortwo...

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Soooo....... what did you decide to do with it SMSF??

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I tasted some fig and ginger jam made at a restaurant in Wellfleet, called Winslow's (the old Aesop's Table). it was amazing. I think you could use it in a puff pastry mini tart, with grilled chicken, in yogurt, as an ice cream topping (thinned with a little flamed booze or even water), and of course on toast or as a sandwich spread. A little mixed in a vinaigrette would go a long way too.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Wow, thank you all for your terrific suggestions! The response has been great. I suspect the jam will not be around much longer thanks to you wonderful folks. I'll report back once I've put a bunch of these ideas into use. : )