I was given a jar of fig & ginger jam. I'm not that into sweets -- any recommendations as to how to use this?

The jar is shelf-stable and has been in my pantry for a while!

• Posted by: SMSF
  • July 14, 2016

pierino July 14, 2016

Stir 1 or 2 tablespoon sized scoops into plain, unflavored Greek yogurt such as Fage. The yogurt adds tartness to balance the sweet.

pierino July 14, 2016

pierino July 14, 2016

pierino July 14, 2016

I don't know why my answer appeared three times. Sorry about that.

AntoniaJames July 14, 2016

Use it in these savory treats come autumn (or now, but really, these are wonderful for Thanksgiving and winter holiday parties). https://food52.com/recipes...
Of course, you don't need much for those.
It would also be ideal on a cheese platter. Put out half a jar in a medium ramekin with a variety of cheeses - including of course with fruit for dessert -- and watch it disappear.
Also delicious on crostini along with lightly salted ricotta, as an appetizer, especially on grilled bread during the summer. If the jam seems too sweet, cut it with a touch of lemon juice and lemon zest.
So many options!
(Bottom line: I'd put 3 tablespoons of it in the freezer, to use in the blue cheese savories listed above, were I to open the jar within the next few months.) ;o)

pierino July 14, 2016

Tasting from afar here but the ginger should add some sharpness too.

Nancy July 14, 2016

Use it in this fig pesto mascarpone cheescake
Epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fresh-Fig-Mascarpone-and-Pesto-Torte-13233#ixzz1ow5axvks
Or just serve as part of a cheese plate, with wonderful crackers, fruit and wines.

PHIL
PHIL July 14, 2016

I have a jar too, and this is how I put that bad boy to work. Take a pizza shell , either make it or buy one or you could use some nice bread or foccacia like Antonia mentioned, bake the dough if uncooked. saute some onions nice and soft. rub some olive oil on the pizza/bread , put some onions on, then tear some strips of Prosciutto and put on the pizza, spread some fig jam right on the prosciutto here and there top with some shredded smoked mozzarella . pop it under the broiler to get a nice melt . After you eat this pizza you'll be buying more fig jam. For an easier option just spread on some crackers with some of your favorite cheeses.not as exciting but still good

AntoniaJames July 14, 2016

Whoa, PHIL, I'm trying that! I was given a jar of fig+Meyer lemon jam that I have yet to open. What inspiration you've provided. Thank you. ;o)

Stephanie
Stephanie July 15, 2016

Salivating over here. Yup, this is going on my weekend dinner plan.

PHIL
PHIL July 14, 2016

I make it for my Mom , that's why I'n her favorite

AntoniaJames July 14, 2016

Too funny, PHIL. Totally make sense. ;o)

sexyLAMBCHOPx July 14, 2016

Try basting it on bacon to add to summer burgers.

AntoniaJames July 14, 2016

sLCx, that sounds insanely delicious. Noted for future reference! ;o)

702551
702551 July 14, 2016

I would mix with other ingredients (ketchup, Worcestershire, mustard, soy sauce, citrus juice, etc.) to make a BBQ sauce, particularly with pork.

foofaraw
foofaraw July 14, 2016

- stir in into tea
- add to BBQ sauce or chicken marinade
- as salad dressing: olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then add jam, salt & pepper to taste (I'd say: 1/8-1/4 cup : 1/4 cup : 1T : 1/2 tsp : 1/4 tsp to start with)

BerryBaby July 15, 2016

I spread it on a round of Brie and wrap the Brie in puffed pastry. Serve it warm, it is really delicious!

Emily Love
Emily Love July 15, 2016

I love these fig and blue cheese savories (just put a tiny amount on each savory)
https://food52.com/recipes...

Stephanie
Stephanie July 15, 2016

Some great ideas here! I would toss in...
- Use in place of simple syrup in a cocktail recipe or to sweeten tea (hot or iced) or club soda/seltzer.
- Grilled cheese & ham sandwich/panini - a sharp cheese and a bit of arugula will cut the sweetness.
- Stir it into oatmeal or overnight oats.

Michele
Michele July 15, 2016

A really nice brie or camembert with rustic crackers would work really well with a little dollop of the jam on it. Yum!

Jennifer W
Jennifer W July 20, 2016

Use it in a cocktail. Like this one http://www.dessertfortwo.com/jam-cocktails-fig-rye-whiskey/

PHIL
PHIL July 20, 2016

Soooo....... what did you decide to do with it SMSF??

Bevi
Bevi July 20, 2016

I tasted some fig and ginger jam made at a restaurant in Wellfleet, called Winslow's (the old Aesop's Table). it was amazing. I think you could use it in a puff pastry mini tart, with grilled chicken, in yogurt, as an ice cream topping (thinned with a little flamed booze or even water), and of course on toast or as a sandwich spread. A little mixed in a vinaigrette would go a long way too.

SMSF
SMSF July 20, 2016

Wow, thank you all for your terrific suggestions! The response has been great. I suspect the jam will not be around much longer thanks to you wonderful folks. I'll report back once I've put a bunch of these ideas into use. : )