🔕 🔔

@FoodPickle any tips for thin crusty pizza bases? (cc @GrantFirePR)

asked by @StuFirePR almost 6 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

The hottest heat your oven can withstand. Crank it up as high as it will go. Or better still cook it outside over a wood (not briquette) fire. Inside use a pizza (bread) cooking stone. Heat is key for thin crust.

Use a light hand with the sauce and toppings as well. Too much stuff on top, or if the veggies are too wet, will keep the dough soft and sort of soggy. Use way less sauce than you think you need.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Let the dough rest for a few minutes after you roll it out. It will develop a thin, dry layer outside that browns nicely.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

A quick crust with Semolina:
1 cup Semolina Flour
1/3 cup hot water
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs Olive Oil.

Mix dry in food processor..drizzle in hot water/oil until it forms a ball.
Let rest 15min to 2 hours.
Form into golf ball sized balls and roll out into six inch crusts--very thin.

Heat a broiler. Heat a cast iron pan. Cook in the pan until bubbles form.
Decorate with toppings.
Finish the top in the broiler. Until crispy and cheeses melt.

NOTE: This doesn't hold up well with a heavy sauce. Use a light sauce or omit the sauce or use sun-dried tomatoes (soaked in oil).

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

There are previous foodpickle inquries about pizza methods that you might find helpful (search pizza in box above). I stretch the dough as thin as I can using the backs of my hands/ knuckles under the center of the dough (hands in the air, about chest height). I lay it on the back side of a coookie sheet that has cornmeal sprinkled on it, then I bake it in a pre-heated 450 degree oven without sauce/toppings for about 4-5 minutes. Pull it out and top it, put back in, and the crust comes out almost like a cracker, which is our family's (at least husband's and mine) preference.