What's your favorite late night snack

Late night snack

asked by Food odyssea over 2 years ago

Honestly, I've never eaten a late night snack..ever. If I were to, though, it would be crunchy peanut butter on gummy white bread, strawberry jam and olive oil mayonnaise.

Bread. Fills me up without sitting in my stomach like a rock. Produces serotonin which helps me relax and fall asleep. So a piece of toast or a small sandwich is often what I crave at night.

I'm doing a low carb thing training for the Portland Marathon. So...homemade beef jerky, smoked trout from trader joes and avocado are my nighttime snacks right now. What do I really want? Peanut butter, ghee and honey sandwich on white bread with a small glass of chocolate milk. Sigh

I quit eating late years ago. I found that any late evening food has a tendency to disrupt sleep and reduce the overall quality of my rest. Better to go to bed slightly hungry rather than with a full belly.

You really don't want to excite your senses when you're hoping to go to sleep. Late night eating does that.

One thing I found about not eating late is that I no longer need coffee (or any caffeinated beverage) to wake up. Get good sleep and you don't need caffeine to get you started in the morning. This is from a long-time, now former coffee aficionado. I still enjoy coffee as an occasional treat (mostly when I'm on holiday), however it is no longer a daily requirement for me.

I go to bed at night thinking about breakfast.

eva hayes

Dip and crusty bread! Mmm, extra points if it's spinach dip.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Vodka martini

Rachel

Yep, agreed. However, I think that a small glass of rye counts as a snack too.

Matilda Luk

Buttered toast or ricotta drizzled with maple syrup. My husband will eat dry granola late at night--washed down with a snifter of cognac!

When I was going to college in LA we would be studying late for exams. We'd break it up with a run to the original Tommy Burger on Rampart for chili cheese burgers. They had a very distinctive aroma that would spread through the whole dorm.
Not a snack as such been when I was traveling in Spain we got accustomed to going to dinner at 10:00 like everyone else and leaving at midnight.

caninechef

Now this is a topic in itself, brings back memories of Louie's Lunch Truck in Ithaca.

CanineChef - Ah. And did you ever finish an all-nighter at the State Diner across town?

chocolate.
Tamari almonds.
Unsalted roasted cashews.
Pickle wedge.
Not necessarily together.

ktr
ktr

Trail mix
Dates dipped in creme fraiche
herbal chai tea with honey or date syrup and coconut milk

Jr0717

To (try) to keep myself from snacking, I love having chilled or frozen fruit sprinkled with mint or cinnamon after dinner. It's a great way to enjoy whatever is in season (so you never get bored!) and cleanses the palate, so to speak, after a meal.

My family members often prefer hot homemade chocolate pudding out of the pot at 11:30 PM, or fresh whipped cream with half a bag of powdered sugar...from the bowl with a spatula, and no other way.

scruz

i don't seem to be able to get dinner on the table before 8 p.m. even in retirement so rarely do i snack but sometimes if we eat early i will crave fruit with greek yogurt. lately it is blueberries as the fruit but pineapple and mangoes are satisfying but not too much of the sweet stuff. has anyone had the experience of vivid dreaming after eating a white sapote? a friend recently had me try one and i had the longest and most vivid almost bordering on nightmare. i've heard they can help you sleep.

JulieS

Truffle popcorn
Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips with Peppadew dip
....and always a glass of wine!

Branson pickle and cheddar on Triscuits. Yum!

Make that "Branston"