Substituting instant coffee for espresso powder

I have a recipe that i'm currently making for mocha cupcakes. the recipe calls for 1 1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder, since the espresso powder has a richer coffee flavor should i double it since im using just regular instant coffee? i want to be able to taste the coffee and not just plain chocolate, any suggestions?
Also the icing that goes with these cupcakes calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons of espresso powder should i do the same with the cupcake mix and double?

asked by alexis over 2 years ago

Not sure I would fully double it just because you don't have espresso. I might try increasing it to 2 teaspoons instead, I find that adding coffee to brownies, chocolate cake etc. usually lends a subtle back note.
The most pronounced coffee flavor will reside in the frosting. You can try to up the amount of instant coffee there.
Note that espresso powder is finer than regular freeze-dried. If you are using the product dry in the frosting, then you may need to grind it. (but not if you are adding hot water).
I hope others will chime in.

Amy
Amy

I like to use Starbucks Via packets in recipes that call for ground espresso. Individual "instant" coffee (far better than regular instant coffee) and it sort of melts into the recipes. I am a pastry chef, and it works really well in "mocha" type desserts.