Short Rib Question #1: I'm making the Dan Barber short ribs recipe tonight and was surprised at how expensive the ribs were. Then I noticed that while the butcher counter had "English cut short ribs" for $10.99 a pound, they had "beef short ribs (chuck)" for $5.99 a pound. I, of course got the cheap stuff.

Tell me I did the right thing. And if not, how do I salvage these ribs?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

TiggyBee

http://www.amazingribs... -

Scroll down the page and there is a section explaining both the difference.

Peter
Peter

TiggyBee, thanks so much -- interesting reading, though the descriptions don't make it clear if what I have is the cut of meat the recipe calls for.

From the smell emanating from my oven, I think I'm in good shape but I'm still curious. When told to buy "short ribs" what cut does one want?

TiggyBee

Hi Peter, I found this info:
http://www.ochef.com/561... and then Wikipedia said the English cut was just a longer cut, but I'm wondering if it's actually cut from the rib instead of the chuck. I hope someone comes along with more info. I be interested to learn the difference too.

Jake

Just a guess and too late to help any but any recipe that calls for short ribs is probably asking for the "cheap stuff". I have never heard of "English Cut". By the way, the cheap stuff, because of certain trends in the culinary world, is becoming much more expensive!