How to cook beef short ribs?

Help! I have 2 packages of short ribs as pictured. I have never made short ribs before. I was going to make braised ribs from Smitten Kitchen for Xmas Eve but I just realized these are TINY compared to the ribs meant for the recipe! Can I braise the ribs I have? (in wine and veggies) Or should I make them differently?

015763f4 a09e 4fbb a4b2 21f71c6e4075

1 Comment

PieceOfLayerCake December 23, 2018

There are two ways you're going to find short ribs cut in a store: English and flanken. When you see a braised recipe, most of the time, its designed to accommodate the English cut, which are thick, meaty and benefit from a long braise. From what I can see from the photo, you have the flanken cut. They are cut specifically for grilling. You don't see that cut outside of an Asian market, often. I would go with that inspiration if I were you. I think the preparation in which flanken cut short ribs really shine is kalbi, a Korean seared short rib. It is SO GOOD and if you're up for sourcing somewhat unusual ingredients, it is very worth it. If you're looking to be somewhat simple, you can go with a different rub or just s&p. I really wouldn't braise them, though....you won't end up with much left.

creamtea December 23, 2018

Hi POLC, gotta chime in here; flanken is Yiddish for a kosher cut of short ribs, usually about 2 to 2-1/2" thick; it is a tough cut suitable for slow cooking and will be available in larger metropolitan areas like NY. My Grandfather used to add it to his chicken soup--a common use in kosher Ashkenazi cooking--where it was a very tasty addition that enriched the broth. It can also be added to a slow-cooked stew of beans, barley and varied meats ; Korean short ribs are cut across the bone like flanken but thinner at about 1/2". It's hard to tell from the photo; if the ribs are thin, I agree with you that a Korean-style recipe will be a good and delicious choice because the thinness--cutting across the muscle fibers-- counteracts the toughness of the meat. If they are thicker like traditional flanken they'll benefit from a slow braise.

HalfPint December 24, 2018

I agree Korean is the way to go. You might have most of the ingredients in your pantry. Here’s a great recipe: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/la-galbi-gui-grilled-la-style-short-ribs/