Asked for lamb arm cut, got it in slices, are these still good for roasting?

I asked for a 2 pound cut, he gave it to me as four slices. I was going to make a recipe where you roast it for 2 hours. do slices still work for roasting? I've only seen people on youtube roast big chunks before..

asked by Derek Xiao about 2 years ago

Derek Xiao

I'm making a recipe from Marcella Hazan's book: Roast Spring Lamb with white wine (something like that).

I also have not seen that specific recipe, but I sometimes buy that cut (my store calls them lamb steaks), but I can't imagine tying them together. They're so floppy. I sear them in a hot pan with just salt and pepper to about medium rare. You could then make a pan sauce using the ingredients that Marcella calls for.

Derek Xiao

for future reference, if this happens again, what if i were to tie all four pieces back together with cooking string (and just throw some spices in between the meat slices)

Are you able to share a photograph?

Normally sliced meat will cook very quickly; something thin may dry out quickly.

Derek Xiao

It's kind of inconvenient. they look like this and are roughly 1 inch thick each:
http://honestcooking.com...

Well, I've never ran into this situation (nor have I read the specific recipe you are working from), however you might be able to tie it up with twine and proceed with the recipe. Note that your goal is to hit a certain internal meat temperature. Cook meat until it is done, it's not about the clock on the wall.

That said, the slices will allow the heat to penetrate and cook the meat faster, so two hours will probably be overdoing it.

Next time, give more explicit instructions to the butcher or find a new one.

Good luck.

Derek Xiao

Yea, I'll just be more specific next time. Thanks!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I'd marinate and grill those slices...here's a recipe that calls for loin chops but I've also done this with blade or round bone chops:
https://food52.com/recipes...

scruz

i marinated some lamb steaks (leg of lamb slices with round bone in) and then grilled them. they weren't as tender (duh) as if they had been slow roasted. with the leftovers i slow simmered in some marinara sauce and served over pasta and that made them really quite tender. i'm not sure it is a cut i would try again unless i braised them or cooked more slowly than the grill.

Derek Xiao

lol it turned out a little dry, but probably just because I'm not very familiar with the roasting technique (asian family here, I'm in high school and just starting to try western cooking). Family said it was decent but i thought it was a little unbearable, maybe next time :p. thank you all for your answers!